Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: The heat in the house is finally on! It turned downright cold the last few days, with the night temps in the low 40's. Yes, I know that for some of you that is nothing, but I am a California girl and freeze very easily.

What I'm reading: I started to read A Brief History of Ancient, Medieval, and Modern Peoples by JD Steele. It was originally written in 1883, but has an engaging style that gives a great overview to world history. So far I am up to Alexander the Great.

What I'm listening to: Someone is listening to a book on CD upstairs, papers are rustling behind me, and the heater just came on.

What we're learning: In history we are learning about the Mughal Dynasty of India, Henry the VIII, and Sir Thomas More. Dasher is doing narrations and copywork from The Magic of Oz by L Frank Baum this week, and we are moving onto question #51 in the Shorter Catechism.

What I'm watching: My Sweetie and I watched The African Queen over the weekend. Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn are superb in it.

What's cooking: One night this week I am creating my own Potato and Ham Au Gratin. We shall see how it turns out....

What I'm buying: Of all the things in our cupboard, we ran out of toilet paper this morning. So I am off to the store for one thing this afternoon.....I hate it when that happens.

What I'm thankful for: I am trying to think of something specific every day this November that I am thankful for; in some ways this is harder than it seems. So today I am thankful for my children, and the amazing blessing that it is being a parent to them. And I pray today that I remember that blessing, even when things aren't going smoothly.

What I'm creating: My second amigurumi monkey didn't come out as well; the neck was deformed and the eyes didn't make it on straight, which gave him a possessed look. But it is too cute because Nutsy doesn't care and just loves him to death. So I am taking a break from making monkeys to check out some other patterns.

What I'm praying: We all have different trials we are going through and ways that God is sanctifying us. Today I am praying for those around me that are going through hard times, and that God would give me grace towards them.

What I'm planning: I need to sit down and do some school planning for the next semester...I did a lot of planning in August and am seeing that I only have a couple more weeks that are planned out.

What we did this last weekend: On Saturday Mr. Lego went with some friends to a woodworking convention. He saw some cool things and got to make a wood pen with a lathe. Sunday we went to church and had our monthly fellowship meal and then we went off to our service at the assisted living center. It was a little disappointing because the attendance was quite low, but a good lesson in persevering in ministry. Afterwards we had a good time fellowshipping with those that came with us; we are so blessed by our friends!

What I'm looking forward to: We have our club meeting in 4-H this week and co-op on Wednesday. But we are taking off school on Friday to celebrate Veteran's Day....we are planning to go to watch a parade that morning.

A picture to share:


~This was taken 5 years ago, on a trip to visit our dear friends in North Carolina. Two thoughts: I miss you G family, and my babies have grown way too fast.  

4 comments:

  1. I hate running out of toilet paper! :(
    Also, your 'thankful' posts on Facebook have been really encouraging and fun to read.

    LOVE the old picture of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stef, I love reading your blog too. I can't believe that photo was taken 5 years ago! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "flash back photos"! Beautiful.

    And I also love that you are true to your California nature. It's in the teens here at night, and I still sleep with the window cracked open. lol. My poor hubby! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too funny, Melissa. My husband would sleep with the window cracked all winter and not turn on the heat until December if he didn't have a cold-blooded wife. Isn't it funny how most marriages are opposite like that? :-)

    ReplyDelete