Friday, September 2, 2011

Our Homeschooling Curriculum 2011

We start school next week.
Whether I am ready or not.
I feel ready and am happy about our school choices for this year.

Which, if you are interested, I'll share with you.

Bible - Training Hearts, Teaching Minds

We will continue to memorize the shorter catechism using Training Hearts; I really love this book and how the catechism is explained. We have memorized the first 45 questions, but I suspect we will be doing lots of reviewing the first couple of weeks.

History - Mystery of History Volume 3

Continuing on in history we come to the Renaissance, Reformation and growth of nations. Along with the core curriculum, I will be having the older children read excerpts from The 100 Most Important Events in Church History  and The Story of Liberty, along with other historical fiction we own. And for the younger two, I will use the coloring pages from Story of the World Vol. 3 & Vol. 4, with easier historical fiction books to read.

Vocabulary - English From the Roots Up, Word Roots

We will go over two to three new words a week during our Circle Time (all together time) from Roots Up. The younger ones love competing and seeing who remembers the most words. In addition, the older two will be doing the Word Roots software on the computer.

Logic - The Fallacy Detective

Last year I incorporated logic into our Circle Time, but this year feel that it is a better use of our time to have the older ones study it on their own. And this book came highly recommended...I am also looking forward to learning much more about logic as I read it with them.


Grammar/Spelling/Writing - First Language Lessons, All About Spelling, Writing With Ease, Co-op

I am continuing First Language Lessons with Dasher. She is definitely a verbal learner which fits well with this book. All about Spelling is a new one for me this year that came recommended. I don't usually do spelling unless I see deficiencies and this curriculum looks like it will be a good fit for her. Writing With Ease is one of my favorite writing curriculums! I love the literature selections and the layout of the material. The two older children will be taking a writing/literature course from my friend N, during our co-op this year.

Math - Math U See

Math U See is working well for us. (I think this is the longest I have stayed with a math curriculum!) And for the first time I will have all 4 children doing math.....oh my.....

Science - Apologia's Zoology I: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day

This is my contribution to our co-op this year. We will do experiments, make crafts, sketch birds wings, learn about bees and ancient flying dinosaurs. Fun guaranteed.

Phonics - Explode the Code, Phonics Pathways

Dasher loves Explode the Code. Last year Nutsy started doing the primer books and so they will both be doing these fun workbooks to supplement their phonics learning. I will be starting Nutsy in Phonics Pathways in helping to teach my youngest to read.....life is going way too fast.

Latin - Artes Latinae

I am excited about this self-teaching computer program for my two oldest. A few years ago we did a year of elementary Latin and I am hoping this can build on that knowledge.

Matres Magistres Co-op

We are splitting our co-op into two groups this year. The older children will be taking the writing/literature course and also doing World Physical Geography. The younger ones will be doing literature/copywork/narrations and then the entire co-op will be studying Flying Creatures for science together. It is going to be a fun year!

4-H

We still have our rabbits.....I haven't wanted to whine about them, but we can't seem to get them pregnant, even though they are rabbits. We will be doing the rabbit project this year and also doing the leadership project, as Mr. Lego is our club secretary and Bookworm is a Sergeant-at-Arms. They will all do presentations this year, do volunteer work and learn lots more about rabbits.

That's the plan.

One moment I am terrified that I am going to be teaching a high school student and the next I can't wait to begin and show my children the wonder of God, both in history and through creation.

Keep me in your prayers, as I will keep my other homeschooling friends in my prayers as we train and teach our precious children.

No comments:

Post a Comment