Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Monday Musings (On Tuesday)

What I'm thinking: That it is going to be another hot one today. Yesterday it was 102, and today it will be 103. And I saw on someone's Facebook status that they typed that little circle you put after the temperature to mean degrees...anyone know how to do that?

What I'm reading: Except for very light reading of some cookbooks and a frugal living tips book I got from the library, I haven't done any reading. And the summer is slipping by.

What I'm listening to: Spoons clanking against bowls at the breakfast table. This doesn't bother me at all...it is the chewing that drives me up the wall.

What we're learning: This is our last week of formal school. After this week we only have a couple days every week that we could do school, so I am saying that this Friday is the last. I am pushing a couple of my children to get to a certain point in their math books, and the two older ones have one last history test to take.

What I'm watching: We rarely rent movies, and I get most of the ones we watch from the library. This is hit or miss....especially when I pick up a movie that neither of us has ever heard of before. So last week I picked up As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me. When I got it home I was even more doubtful when I saw it was a German film; sometimes those international films can be weird. But this one was pretty good; it was about the true story of a WW 2 German soldier who is imprisoned in the Russian Gulag; he escapes and then walks 8,000 to home over three years. And thankfully it did have subtitles...

What's cooking: I am doing something a little different this week. I am going to have my Sweetie grill lots of Hoisin Chicken one day. That night we will eat it in Asian wraps, then the next day the leftover meat will go into a stir fry. Hopefully this plan will keep the kitchen a bit cooler.

What I'm buying: I can't think of anything I need to get his week....

What I'm thankful for: Good friends and good conversations. We spent a lot of time this weekend with our friends and I am so thankful that while we can have a fun time playing games and laughing, we can also talk about deeper things and encourage and admonish one another.

What I'm creating: Tomatoes! We picked the first of our tomatoes over the weekend. They are the Early Girls and are little cherry ones. But I see about 30 green large ones, some Romas, and the heirlooms so I am really getting excited.

What I'm praying: That I would remember that my voice is not the one everyone always want to hear, and that my ideas are not always the best ones. Romans 12:16b "...do not be wise in your own opinion."

What I'm planning: I have this great idea to do all my planning for school this month so I can relax in August and enjoy the summer. I'm not sure if it will work.....we have the State Fair next week, then a family reunion later this month so I am not sure if I can do it all in July.

What we did this last weekend: We went to our friends annual 4th of July party on Friday....we talked, ate great food, stayed up way too late, played volleyball, the kids had a water fight, and my Sweetie and I got pushed into the pool. With our clothes on. Sunday we went to church and then spent a nice quiet afternoon as a family. Monday we went swimming and had a huge backyard water fight, then went to our friends for a BBQ, then back home for our neighborhood's block party and fireworks.


What I'm looking forward to: It is only 8 in the morning and I am getting warm. So I am really looking forward to getting in the pool this afternoon. It is a quiet week ahead; Saturday we have the memorial service for my friend, which I know, will be bittersweet.

A picture to share:


~This was taken during our backyard water fight.  What's going to happen next in this picture? Stay tuned to my blog to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment