Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: Of what is on my list of things to do today.....laundry, exercising (if I put that in this post then I really have to do it), school, organizing papers, changing my kefir and getting a couple letters into the mail.

What I'm reading: I am reading Age of Opportunity again. I read about a third of the book before I took a reading break, and now I feel like I need to re-read the beginning part.

What I'm listening to: We are back into the swing of our morning schedule so right now I am listening to Bookworm playing the piano.

What we're learning: Back into formal learning this week: we are finishing up 2 subjects, history and science. In history we will learn about the Ottoman Turks and then Gutenberg and the printing press. Then in science the older children will finish reading the last chapter on gastropods and worms. Both Dasher and Nutsy got their new math books in the mail last week and have been begging me to let them do math so we will watch Mr. Demme on video together and then do the worksheets.

What I'm watching: My poor confused vegetables. The tomatoes haven't grown much in the last couple weeks and the cucumber plants are still only about 4 inches tall. And with all the rain the last few days the snails had a field day....we went out yesterday afternoon and they ate ALL of the carrot tops and some lettuce....I need to figure out a plan of attack later today. Does anyone have any organic snail-control ideas?

What's cooking: Over the weekend I experimented and tried to copy a recipe we had at this restaurant during our recent trip to Carmel: Grilled Vegetable Chiabatta Sandwiches. I made them with grilled eggplant, zucchini, and onions; topped with tomato, fresh basil and provolone. Next time I want to add grilled asparagus and maybe roast a bell pepper too.

What I'm buying: School books for next year. I am keeping some curriculum, changing others....I'll blog about our decisions when we have bought all the books and I have a rough lesson plan together.

What I'm thankful for: Right now I am thankful for my washer and dryer. I could not imagine doing laundry by hand for 6 people, (We would definitely wear our clothes for a few days before washing) and drying things when it is rainy....I am so thankful that God has given us the technology to create these wonderful machines.

What I'm creating: 200 blog posts. Yes, this Monday Musing is my 200th post. I wouldn't have guessed it, if blogger didn't keep track of it for me.

What I'm praying:That I would not get caught up in obtaining more theological knowledge, but remember what is most important: Fearing God and keeping His commandments. (Ecc. 12:12-13) Learning theology has its place but can easily distract us.

What I'm planning: I'm getting our State Fair forms filled out....we need to decide what rabbits to bring and which to leave home next month.

What we did this last weekend: We did stuff around the house on Saturday.....mainly I went through the school room. Then we heard a great sermon yesterday and watched Nutsy and Dasher do their Sunday school presentations. After our church's monthly fellowship meal, we came home, played games with the kids, and ate the apple cake that should have come with us to the fellowship meal but was accidentally left in the kitchen.

What I'm looking forward to: We have school this week and I am meeting a good friend for coffee. We also have our end of the year party for 4-H. Then we are going for a short trip to the foothills to meet up with some good friends. It has been three years since we have seen them and we are looking forward to catching up and hanging out.

A picture to share:


~Dasher, at her Sunday School Presentation yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Our veggies are equally confused. LOL I would really love to see the sun too! It is quite chilly this AM. Loved Friday! Thanks.
    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I loved Friday too! And I think this is the last cloudy day this week. Have a good week, my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanna say, I love reading these Monday Musings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Stef. Sometimes I am not sure if these get a little boring. :-)

    ReplyDelete