Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: I have kept a journal since my husband and I were married. It is not a bare your heart type of journal; my kids love reading it and remembering what we did. And we do refer to it when we are trying to remember what we did during our Christmas vacation in 2003. But I am starting to get further and further behind with it. And maybe this blog is the reason why. I write stuff on here, then think of it as recorded in our family history. And it is a handwritten journal, which is more time consuming than I would like. So I am thinking of starting a journal as a word document...I sure type faster than I write. (Not that I am a fast typer; my Sweetie takes that award.) What do you all think? How do you record your family history?

What I'm reading: I am about a quarter of the way through Age of Opportunity by Paul David Tripp. Some good quotes so far: "[Children] are given not to bring us glory, but Him." and, "These years are hard for us because they expose the wrong thoughts and desires of our own hearts." This is a great book to read if you have or are going to have adolescents in your home.

What I'm listening to: Well, I am listening to what sounds are in our home every weekday morning between 7:30 and 8am. And that would be Bookworm practicing the piano downstairs and Mr. Lego strumming the guitar upstairs. Maybe I should tweak this question and answer what it is I am thinking I will hear sometime today, like the rain drops on the drain outside (it's raining right now), or that I'm planning to stick in a Fernando Ortega CD to listen to this afternoon.

What we're learning: This week Dasher is doing narrations and copywork from The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks by Nancy McArthur and the older children are learning about noun modifiers and adverb clauses in their Writing Skills book. In history we are learning about Dante, the Aztecs, and the Hundred Years' War.

What I'm watching: The price of gas going up and up. This is when I am really thankful that I don't have to drive the kids to and from school every day and we live where I can do all my shopping in one town.

What's cooking: Last Thanksgiving I bought two turkeys and so there is one defrosting in my fridge right now. I think we'll have it Wednesday, with dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans and a salad. Then Turkey Soup of course on Thursday!

What I'm buying: I can't think of anything I need to go out and buy this week, except for our weekly grocery trip on Friday.

What I'm thankful for: A husband who likes to fix things. We have saved so much money over the years because, instead of doing the easy thing and calling a repair man, he does research and sees if he can fix it himself. And most of the time he can. With the help of Mr. Lego!

What I'm creating: I can't think of anything I am creating this week. Some weeks I need to focus on the ordinary: the homeschooling, cleaning and cooking.

What I'm praying: For our missionaries serving in foreign countries. It is easy to forget those who are sacrificing so much so that the gospel can be spread.

What I'm planning: Fair is starting to be on my mind more. We are going to start fattening up our baby rabbit for the market competition, the older ones need to start practicing showmanship, and also brushing up on their rabbit knowledge for rabbit bowl.

What we did this last weekend: We went to a few garage sales on Saturday morning; I found kids clothes for 50 cents each, a covered picnic basket for $2 and a chalkboard easel for $4. Yesterday we heard an encouraging sermon at church, then went to our friends house for an afternoon of fellowship, munchies, wine, gourmet pizza and a lovely walk to the creek.

What I'm looking forward to: This is a more quiet week; our co-op is taking a break and we only have our 4-H rabbit meeting to go to.

A picture to share:



~I bought a bunch of daffodils last week and when they opened, one had an orange center!

No comments:

Post a Comment