Be Still My Soul

This last Monday we found out some sad news. A man in our church passed away suddenly. He was only 49, in very good health and was out jogging when he had a heart attack. He has 2 college age children and a sweet wife, who is going through something that I cannot even imagine. What makes this even sadder is that the week before, he and his wife had buried her brother after a long fight with leukemia, and his wife had stayed behind to tend to his affairs. She was arriving home that day from the airport and was met at the door by the sheriff.....I can not even comprehend the amount of grief that their family is dealing with right now.

Through this sad time I can only trust in God's Providence. Not in my sinful, faltering doubts. I need to trust in His promises of peace and comfort; not in my shaking, grieving heart. These last couple of days this song has been going through my heart and mind and I want to share it with all of you.



Be still my soul: the Lord is on your side; 
bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
leave to your God to order and provide; 
in every change He faithful will remain;
Be still my soul: your best, your heavenly Friend 
through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still my soul: your God will undertake 
to guide the future as He has the past,
Your hope, your confidence let nothing shake; 
all now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still my soul: the waves and winds still know 
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still my soul: when dearest friends depart, 
and all is darkened in the vale of tears, 
then shall you better know His love, His heart; 
who comes to soothe your sorrows and your fears.
Be still my soul: your Jesus can repay 
from His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still my soul: the hour is hastening on 
when we shall be forever with the Lord,
when disappointment, grief, and fear are gone, 
sorrow forgot, love's purest joy restored.
Be still my soul: when change and tears are past, 
all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

~Katherina von Schlegel



"You who have made me see many troubles 
and calamities will revive me again; 
from the depths of the earth 
you will bring me up again. 
You will increase my greatness 
and comfort me again.

~Psalm 71:20-21

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry for his family.
    I am so happy for this man.
    He's Home, with his Father, forever. What a blessed man he is!

    I will be praying for his family and for your church family.
    I'm so sorry for your loss and for their loss :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! What grief! I will be praying for her and her children. Also for you and your family as you comfort her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for praying. It is such an encouragement to have friends like both of you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we've been praying today that his family will feel God's peace and comfort. One very hard thing about losing my Grandpa a couple weeks ago is, he was not a professing Christian. So I am praying that God will give this family a great amount of peace and even joy in the midst of this deep, deep valley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so encouraging, Mrs. Gochnauer. Thank you so much for that!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Charlotte, thank you for sharing this hymn (it encouraged my own heart) as well as this devastating story. Thank you for allowing us to enter this burden, bear it also, and pray.
    I just read this now, and will be praying today.
    May the Lord equip you (and others) with unique grace to be His arms to this family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What great sorrow! I am praying for your friend & her family. I don't know what else to say. The grief most be enormously painful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all SO much.....your words are incredibly encouraging. And knowing you are lifting this family up in prayer is so comforting. I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard about this from Katie. I'm so sorry Charlotte - it's so very sad and yet such a blessing that they have a strong faith and brothers and sisters in Christ to comfort them. Have been praying for her and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been such a comfort to us too, Charlotte. Thank you for reminding us of it on Wednesday. We've sung it during family worship this week and it's been such a healing balm to our broken hearts.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Lisa. And thank you for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Charlotte! Oh it is SO good to catch up on your blog, although the latest entry was heart wrenching, I hope that his hurting family is finding comfort with the Lord. Can't even imagine the loss... thanks for looking at my blog too, we are keeping busy, and I am praying about what to do for Alicia's school next year... this year we are doing Classical Conversations... ok, I won't make this a ginormous email... just a comment... Love, Becca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That's about all I can say. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts