Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Quesadilla Pie

So this yummy dish was on my menu this week and since it is entirely my creation, I thought I would share it with you. It was from a combination of ideas; I love Mexi-Melts from Taco Bell and was trying to copy them one day, and I was also looking for a vegetarian economical meal with beans. (No, we are not vegetarians, but it is cheaper and healthier so I try to make a V meal once or twice a week.) Enter the Quesadilla Pie.

First, you need the beans. I use black, but you could do pinto beans too. I make mine in the crock pot (1 part beans to 3 parts water, on high for 5 hours) but you could crank open a can of beans just as easily. 3 cans is pretty much equivalent to the amount I made.

Next you take the beans and about a cup of frozen corn and put them into a wide saucepan on medium heat with about a half a cup of water. To make this low fat, I just spray the pan with Pam. At this point I season by adding about 2 T of chili powder, cumin and onion powder. If you did the beans in the crock pot you will probably need to add a little salt too.

After a few minutes and after things have gotten bubbly, I add 2 tomatoes that have been chopped and a handful of chopped cilantro. Let me take this moment to tell you that I have an obsession with cilantro. I love the stuff.


Right before I take it off the heat, I might add a couple big spoonfuls of my favorite salsa.

Now to assemble: I use Pyrex pie pans (hence the name Quesadilla Pie) and begin by spraying the bottom lightly with Pam. Then I layer a tortilla and a couple spoonfuls of the bean mixture. Not too much, only enough to cover the tortilla, like this:


You can see my favorite salsa above in the picture to the right. Awesome stuff. Then I put on a light sprinkling of grated cheddar...any cheese inside the layers kind of disappears, so I save most of it for the top.

I keep adding layers of tortilla, beans, cheese until I feel it's enough. These pies had 4 layers. The top layer gets the beans, more cheese, and if I am feeling adventurous I add chopped green onions and/or sliced black olives. You can tell from my picture I wasn't too adventurous this night.

Into a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and viola! Ready to eat. I served this with Spanish rice and salsa on the side.


Just another peek at the layers.....

I LOVE cooking but really need a recipe for my dishes, so it's unusual for me to come up with a recipe in my head. I am sure there are variations to this dish...sauteing onions in the beginning, chopped chicken or ground beef could find a place in there too...play around with it and let me know what you think of it if you make it!

5 comments:

  1. My husband would LOVE this dinner! I'm going to make it next week - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great!! I've bookmarked it so I won't forget to make it. Thanks!

    You have new follower:) I too have a 12 year old Lego lover. He's building greatness right this moment lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stef! Let me know how it turns out.

    Hi Lisa! I hope you get to try the recipe. 12 year-old boys and Legos....great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I'm going to have to give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm...that looks *so* incredibly good!

    --Nancy

    ReplyDelete