Tuesday, August 2, 2016

{Schoolhouse Review} ~ CTCMath

Math is such an important part of schooling. And CTCMath is here to help! I was given the opportunity to review CTCMath Homeschool Membership the last few weeks. I decided to have Bookworm, as my oldest student right now, study Algebra in this online program.

CTCMath Review

CTCMath is an online math program, that has math lessons for all ages. Beginning with Kindergarten and going through 6th grade, the program then also offers classes for:

  • Elementary Measurement and Geometry
  • Pre-Algebra
  • Algebra I & Algebra II
  • Pre-Calculus and Calculus
  • Geometry
  • Trigonometry


When you purchase the CTCMath Homeschool Membership you can have accounts for up to 10 students. Each student has their own login and password, which my kids love. There is also a Teacher Account; here I can see an overview of each student, when they last logged in, and what percentage they have completed of the course they are taking. CTCMath also sends me weekly emails, letting me know how far my students have progressed that week and how long they were logged in for.

One option in the Teacher Account is to assign certain topics for your student to complete. This would work well for those students that need remedial help in a certain area. Since Bookworm was working though the program as a whole we didn't use this feature, and I had her begin with the first topic.


There are 4 parts to the Algebra program and then lessons within those parts. I looked quickly looked through the topics covered and saw that the basics of Algebra I are completely covered in this program.

There are three sections that students need to complete.

First the video:

These are straight forward math lessons, with a teacher off camera explaining the topic. As he speaks, numbers and other images appear on the screen. The videos tend to be between 2 and 6 minutes in length.




The next part is the questions. These relate directly to the video they just watched. As the student answers the questions they see their progress above, along with their current score. Bookworm liked this aspect - she is pushed to do better when she sees her score climb up as she answers correctly.




The third part is the worksheet. This can be printed, or there is a place where you can fill in the answers. I had Bookworm print these out since I do want her to also do pencil and paper math assignments and not be tempted to do higher math mentally.






The one thing that I didn't like was that the answers are printed right there on the same page. This can be too tempting for some students! Bookworm was very good and would cover the answers with a sticky note, and then only looked at the answers after she had completed the worksheet to check her work.

Another feature that I appreciated was the Lesson Summary. This page shows all of the visual parts of the video on one page. This is a great way to go back and easily review a topic without watching the entire video.

So what did we think of CTCMath? I really liked this program. I loved the simple way that each topic was taught, an the no-frills videos. I also really liked the flexibility of this program. If your student needed remedial practice, you could assign them tasks to do. If they were struggling with one certain topic you could go directly to it, and have them go through the lesson. Or, if your student was going through that grade level of math, you could systematically have them go through the lessons in order.

Bookworm really liked how the topics were explained, and I liked it that there were worksheets to print off to do at the table. I also liked how easy it was to see exactly what she had completed and where she needed more work.

We explored the Algebra level of this program; other members of The Crew wrote about other levels. Check out what they thought by clicking below.


CTCMath Review

Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment