Friday, July 29, 2016

The USAF Journey Begins......

Well as lots of you know from my Facebook page, Mr. Lego left Tuesday for Basic Military Training at Lackland AFB in Texas.

I have decided to write how things go, for us and for him, on my blog. I'll also keep you up to date with what kinds of things he is learning the 8 1/2 weeks he is at BMT.




It all happened rather fast - we had known for months that his tentative leaving date was the 26th of July, but this is the military, and it wasn't until 5 days before that that he got his plane ticket, and we knew he was really going.

He had a list of mandatory things to bring plus some optional things, so he spent the next few days getting them all together. The list of these things, as of this writing, can be seen here.

There wasn't much and it would have fit in a hand carry-on, but because he was asked to bring shampoo, liquid soap, and laundry soap, he had to check in a bag.


We had a fun weekend, knowing that he was leaving us very soon.




The day before he left he spent it at the nearby Air Force base where he is based, filling out paperwork and getting his orders. That night we played some fun family games, and after the kids were in bed, I had a good cry in My Sweetie's arms.




We were up Tuesday morning, bright and early, to get him to the airport.

Well it really wasn't bright. In fact it was pitch black, since we needed to be there by 4:45 am.

We walked him in and stayed with him until that dreaded sign that says that ticketed passengers can only go beyond this point. It was a quick goodbye - we didn't want him to miss his flight.




He was able to text me from Dallas - where he caught a connecting flight - and then again when he landed in San Antonio. He texted a few times from the USO, and then about 3 hours later, he texted to say he was on the bus. He said he would call us tonight, as late as 10pm.

We waited and waited, and finally went to bed, with our phones right next to our heads.


He never called.

I knew that he had gotten there safely so I wasn't too concerned - now we were waiting for the big phone call, the one where we would get his address. Typically this comes on that Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, but it can really come anytime. So seriously, my phone was plastered to my hand at all hours.

And surprise me it did, when it came on Wednesday. He sounded in control and not stressed - many times this is a very hard call to take as the airmen are a bit freaked out. I got the address and was able to repeat it back to him. And then, abruptly, the call ended.

And that is the last time I will hear his voice for at least 4 weeks.

If you are asking, I am actually doing pretty good. Aside from my big cry this week, I have held it together. A lot of that is due to the fact that I know he was SO excited to be doing this. He has watched countless YouTube videos about BMT, had all the things he needed memorized, and had everything ready to go.


So what is he up to this week? This week is known as Week 0, or Processing Week,  and is a bit of an intro to BMT. But that doesn't mean they get a break. They get off that bus running, and don't stop for anything. You can see here the list of things he will be doing.

AirForceWingMoms has been an immense help the last few days; there are so many articles that explain all that is going to go on for the next 8 1/2 weeks. They also have a Facebook page that has lots of great info too.

We are so happy for him. And we are praying diligently for him. We have already written him 5 letters (sisters, My Sweetie, and me) and plan to get at least one letter a day in the mailbox from someone in our household.

I do appreciate your prayers as well, and if you are interested in writing him, please email me.

The journey continues......

2 comments:

  1. By the way, I will be praying for your family. Having big brother gone would completely change our home... I can imagine (ten years down the road) it would only be moreso for you guys.
    Thank you for sharing this part of life on your blog.
    We spend so much time, as young moms, reading about loving on our kids while they are in our homes, and attaching to them... it seems like there is less out there (definitely my mom found it that way about twelve years ago...) for those on the other side... letting them go, sending them out, letting those arrows fly from the bow string... wow.
    I have tears in my eyes. Still. And you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa! Thank you so much for your words and prayers. I have been thinking about my 'second' life.....life when there aren't any children in the home. And I do want to be an encouragement to those who are in this stage. It is such a bittersweet time....you want them to have wings and fly, but you also dread the changes. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete