Q is for Quickly, Get Me Out Of Here

Q is for Quickly, get me out of here, or, one of my embarrassing moments.

Which included at least one of my darling children, of course.

I was doing my normal thing one day, about nine or ten years ago, and shopping at our local Costco. We go about once a month so I bring all four of the kiddies to help, as I fill the cart all the way to the top. At this point, Mr. Lego was 11, Bookworm was 8, Dasher was 7, and Nutsy was 3.

We were leaving the store, and I know I had Nutsy in the seat part of the cart, securely fastened, while the other three walked with me into the parking lot. When you leave the immediate store front at our Costco, you cross the main parking lot driveway, which is actually three driveways that converge, so it is a pretty busy place. I paused to make sure we were safe, then headed to cross the driveway to get to our car.

Exactly in the middle of this three-way convergence, my cart stops short and I can't push it. I look down, and realize that Bookworm's long skirt on her dress had rolled around and around the wheel of the cart and wound itself into a very tight knot. I try to pull it and cannot budge it even a bit. This was not a cute little dress but a long one. This was the stage when she not only loved dresses, but ones with long, flowing, full skirts that had yards of fabric. Which now most of which, is twirled very tightly around the wheel.

A car honks. I am truly stuck. I even try tearing the dress, pulling, but there is no way I can do that. More cars are piling up and there is nothing I can do about it. I want to just move the cart to the side of the road, but it will not move. And there is no way that I could even try to lift the thing to move it.

I thought about taking the dress off of her, but she was not wearing shorts or anything like that underneath. And I knew my sweet daughter, and that I could not ask her to walk the long way to the car naked in her underwear. It's summer, so I didn't have a sweater or anything to wrap around her either.

It seemed like an eternity, but someone ran to help us. They couldn't get it unstuck either. We really needed scissors so someone went back into the store to see about getting a pair.

The employee had to see for herself what was going on, so she came out, without the scissors. I explained again, there is no way I can move, please, get some scissors. She ran back in to see what she could do. I looked around, and yup, there were lines of cars in all three directions, with someone trying to direct them around our little fiasco. I really just wanted to disappear into a hole.

Finally, she brought out the scissors and asked me to do the cutting, which I did, and she was free, with a much shorter dress. A couple more cuts and the wheel was free too, and we were able to move.

Oh, that was embarrassing for me.  But the one thing that I remember clear as day, as we walked to the car, was one of my sweeties saying, "Mom! You did good and didn't get mad or say any bad words!"




Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=
 




Comments

  1. I love that story! And I'm proud of you for not getting mad or saying any bad words. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this is so sweet... I love what your daughter(?) said! You did a good job. That's great! Somehow I have missed you blogging through the alphabet! Sorry! I am trying to catch up. I noticed that your kids' age spans are similar to mine. For instance, mine right now are 14.5, 12, 10.5, and 5.5. There are a couple years between the first two, the second two are 18 months apart, and then there are 5 years between the last two. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny, Lisa I never realized that! My first two are 2 1/2 years apart, then 14 months, and then the last two are 4 1/2 years. Don't you love having a younger one that is really the youngest? :)

      Delete
  3. That is such a funny story! I'm laughing out loud! I know it must truly have been embarrassing, though -- and irritating, feeling like you couldn't do anything to fix it. Wow. You just can't make this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts