L is for Learning Still

The letter L makes me think of Learning.

Since I have already done a post on my kid's learning, I thought about what I do to keep my brain active.

Here is what I do, and plan to continue doing, to keep my mind thinking.


Sudoku/Kenken/Logic Grid Problems



Sudoku and Kenken are number puzzles. In Sudoku the numbers 1-9 cannot repeat in a line, column, or black box. In Kenken, each box has a mathematical symbol and a number the numbers in the box must equal that number when using the function listed.

Once you get the hang of solving them, these are lots of fun.

With logic grid problems, a number of categories are given to you, with a number of clues. You need to decide which item goes where in each category. A great online Logic Puzzle Site that I play is found here.


Knitting/Crocheting

This is another way to keep your brain active. I don't do this as often as I would like, but I can always use another washcloth or scarf.



Reading

I try to read a wide variety of books, both fiction and non-fiction.



Some of my recent reads are:

Non-Fiction
  • The Wilderness Family by Kobie Kruger
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
  • My Life in France by Julia Child
  • My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell
  • Dead Lucky by Lincoln Hall
  • The Making of a Chef by Michael Ruhlem
  • Mouse Tales by David Koenig


Fiction

  • The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne
  • All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot
  • O Pioneers! By Willa Cather
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre by B. Tavern



Homeschooling

Seriously. Teaching my kids has really pushed the limits of my brain. Some of the things that I have taught that I felt I knew nothing about? Geology, Biology, Government/Economics, Algebra, and World History are just a few. I lesson plan a few weeks ahead, and really learn whatever I am teaching.



It is really important to keep your mind active, and to be diligent in doing brainy activities. Soon, those homeschooling years are going to come to a close, and I'll need to be even more diligent about exercising my brain.



Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=

Comments

  1. I am amazed at what I learn alongside my children by homeschooling them, even at the elementary level!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know that I'm keeping my brain active when I'm knitting or crocheting. I often pick projects so that I can stretch myself to learn something new or conquer a new challenge.

    I also like reading, but I often read just fun books not really learning books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Kenken and Sudoku. How do you like Balancing the Sword???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really liked it! We finished that one last year and I am now doing one called Bible Doctrine for Teens and Young Adults by James W Beeke. That one is definitely meatier, but good for my older kids. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts