K is for Kale Bacon Salad

I really do try to cook seasonally. This means knowing what is in season in my area, and planning my meals accordingly.

We love to eat salads in our home, but right now, one head of lettuce is over $2, sometimes pushing $3. Just down the aisle from the lettuce though is a bunch a kale, usually around 89-99 cents a head.

So last year, I experimented and came up with this delicious kale salad.

Start with an onion.



Chop it up into wedges, and then thickly slice a zucchini in half moon slices.


Place on an oiled baking sheet, drizzle with oil and salt and pepper.



Bake at 425 until slightly softened.



Chop up some bacon.....



and saute in an iron skillet. SAVE the bacon fat.



Kale.



When I prepare kale, I remove the center vein. It can get tough and chewy, and so I spereate each leaf and cut it out.





Chop the kale, and into a bowl it goes.




In goes the zucchini, onions, and bacon.






Next, I prepare one of my best cooking friends, garlic. This is for the dressing so I mince two or three cloves.







The first time I made this salad I felt it was missing something so the next time I got out the dried thyme to add to the dressing.






This is where things go fast. Warm up your saved bacon fat in the skillet.




When it begins to steam, I add the minced garlic.





That cooks for only about 30 seconds, and then I add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, pepper and my thyme.




Once it gets bubbly again I take it off the heat, and immediately pour it over the salad and toss completely. The warmth from the salad gets into the kale and it begins to soften a bit.





And that is it. This hearty, winter salad is a great way to get those greens in the winter months and is so yummy. After all, most anything is delish with bacon.




Kale Bacon Salad with Warm Dressing

Ingredients:

1 onion, cut into wedges
1-2 zucchini, sliced
olive oil
pepper & salt
4 slices bacon, with bacon grease reserved
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
3-4 Tbs. vinegar

Directions:

Place onion and zucchini on a greased pan and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees then cool slightly. Meanwhile, chop kale and place in a large bowl. Chop bacon and fry in pan, reserving grease. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and add to kale along with roasted vegetables. Bring bacon grease to medium-high temperature. Add minced garlic and saute 30 seconds. All at once add thyme and vinegar. When heated to a bubble, pour over kale salad all at once and mix completely. Serve immediately.

Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=





Comments

  1. Oh yummy I am going to have try this looks good. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really, really good. I'm going to get some Kale when I go shopping this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts