{Schoolhouse Review} ~ JazzEdge

If you know me, you know I love music.

I even taught beginning piano years ago, before life got crazy with four children.

So when this online piano course came up for review with the Schoolhouse Crew, I asked to be a part of it.


JazzEdge  Review

What It Is:

JazzEdge actually has three different products that we were offered; I chose Easy Piano Basics. Easy Piano Basics are online video piano lessons.Each lesson is between 2 and 10 minutes in length and can be used by both beginner students and those that just need a brush up.

The lessons begin with an overview of the notes of the piano and cover:

  • Half steps and whole steps
  • Scales
  • Time signatures
  • Sharps and Flats
  • Major and minor keys
  • Chords
  • Rhythm and note value

And much more. The 32 lessons are self-paced, which makes it very easy to move around within the program. And the instructor, Willie, does a good job of making the lessons simple, yet to the point. Really, a seven year old can watch this and learn the piano for the first time, while older students and adults can watch it as a review.

After each lesson he gives work to be done. It is expected that the student will work at least 10 minutes a day practicing what they learned.


How We Used It:

I had Nutsy take this course. Ever since Bookworm started formal piano lessons, she has been begging me to teach her. I have dabbled a bit with her and the piano, but nothing serious.

She would sit each day and do a lesson. That worked well for the first week, since the beginning lessons were very good at giving the material in bit-sized bits. We could have probably done two or three in a day, but I held her to one a day.


JazzEdge  Review


Into the second week we slowed our pace quite a bit, and worked out to about two lessons per week. She spent the other three days doing the 'homework' from the course. There are also downloadable sheet music for the lessons, which she would use each day.

We do have an upright piano so she would watch the lesson on our computer and then run across the living room to the piano. I do wish I had a device we could have played the lessons on; it would have been perfect to just prop a kindle up on the piano and have her play along with the lesson. You can do this course with a keyboard as well.

I also asked Bookworm to watch a few of the lessons that were further along; she watched the lesson on major and minor triads and felt like it was very helpful for where she is in her lessons. I watched a couple other lessons and liked how Willie explained the concepts.

I did like this course and found it very useful for reviewing tricky musical concepts. I also really liked that for one price, you get lifetime access to the video lessons and downloadable material. Although I would not use this in place of formal lessons, I did find that it helped to pique Nutsy's interest and helped Bookworm to review important concepts.

And JazzEdge has a couple of other courses that my Crew peeps reviewed:

  • PianoWithWillie is for more advanced students, that want to improve their skills.


Check out what they all thought by clicking below!


JazzEdge Review


Crew Disclaimer


Comments

  1. Hmm...interesting. I'd like to chat with you some on why you wouldn't replace formal lessons...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Tyna, I would love to! Basically I feel like there needed to be more emphasis on theory. And one of the best ways to teach theory, especially to younger kids, is through worksheets. Also, I am a big proponent of playing lots of different types of songs, and so that would need to be supplemented as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts