Curriculum Choices 2014

It is that time of year again, when we start school back up.



Here is what I am thinking to use this year with my kiddos....

The Older Ones

These are my older two, who are in 10th and 12 grades this year. (Okay, did I just really type that?!?)

They are doing most of their subjects together this year.

Math: Abeka Consumer Math.  This is meant for the 12th grade level but I think Bookworm will be able to keep up.

Literature/Theology: Self Paced Omnibus I from Veritas Press. I reviewed this over the summer and really fell in love with the format and what is covered. This year both of them will watch lectures, answer questions, and read Gilgamesh, Hammurabi, The Odyssey, Plutarch, Aeneid, Socrates and lots more.

Grammar: IEW has come out with a new version of Fix-It Grammar; I am reviewing this very soon and plan to incorporate it into their school schedules.

Science: This year our co-op is going to go through Christian Liberty Press' High School Biology course. And yours truly is teaching it....I am still lesson planning but am excited to teach this fun science to the high school aged students.
 



History: My friend is teaching this to our co-op, and we are using Biblioplan's Middle Ages book. Along with discussion questions, they will also have literature assignments from that time period.

Writing: Incorporated into our co-op, all the high school students will be required to write essays each month, based on what they are learning in science and history. We use IEW's Student Writing Intensive as a spine, with a focus on essay writing.

Foreign Language: This is where the kids are going to be splitting up: Mr. Lego is actually going to be taking a Spanish class from our local junior college. This is a great opportunity for him, where he will get to experience lectures and homework assignments in a classroom situation. His one semester class will fulfill a year requirement for foreign language. Bookworm has opted out of taking a foreign language this year, and will wait until she is 16 and can also take the class at the college.


Dasher:

Dasher is my child who struggles in school....I go at a much slower pace with her and do lots of her subjects one-on-one.

Grammar: We will continue doing Logic of English. Ever since I reviewed this last year I have loved using it. It cover phonics, reading, vocabulary, handwriting, spelling, and comprehension. We usually spend at least an hour a day doing these lessons.




Math: This is the one subject Dasher really struggles with. In fact, she has most of the symptoms for dyscalculia. Because of this we use a variety of math resources and kind of do our own thing. This includes Right Start Math and Math U See worksheets, plus lots and lots of tactical manipulatives including Wrap Ups, the abacus, and number blocks. We will also utilize online resources like Mathletics and Math Rider.



One of the other things I am having her also do a couple times a week is Hear Builder Auditory Memory. This software program helps her to remember details and improves her short term memory.


Reading: She is not a natural reader so as part of her daily homeschool schedule she has a 20 minute reading time. And the books she will read this year? Books from Adventures in Odyssey and a biography of Handel.

Geography: This year I am having her go through Geography I from Memoria Press. This will give her a good overview of Europe, N. Africa, and the Middle East.


History: She will take the Middle Ages history class in co-op; during the week I will supplement it and read aloud to the younger two from The Story of the World and other literature sources.

Science: The younger group of students in our co-op this year are going to study Apologia's Anatomy and Physiology. They will use the Notebooks and do the experiments in the book.

Writing: The younger kids in co-op will continue doing Student Writing Intensive from IEW. This year we will focus on reports and creative writing.


Nutsy

Grammar: She will be continuing with Foundations C. We will probably finish up with it at the end of the first semester, so she will then move right into Logic of English. Again, this covers so much....phonics, reading, vocabulary, handwriting, spelling, and comprehension. I LOVE it.

Math: We started Singapore Math last year and she is really responding well to it. So we won't change a good thing....

Science: She will also take the co-op Anatomy and Physiology class....Apologia has Junior Notebooks which are perfect for her to use during the class.


Reading: I will have her read for 15 minutes every school day....and I'll let her pick out simple chapter books from our collection.

History: She will listen in on our weekly history class in co-op, but I will supplement with daily reading. mapwork, activities and coloring pages from Story of the World

Handwriting: This year I decided to go with A Reason For Handwriting. I love that she is copying straight scripture in the workbook.




I also have some fun stuff for her to do while her siblings finish up school each day.....


These iron-bead thingys are a huge hit with the all of my girls. I have a stash of them in the schoolroom so she can get into it in the afternoons while the older ones are still working on school.




 And I have a drawer full of watercolor paint and brushes too.

I have puzzles, those rubber band looms, and a geometric shape tack set, which she loves to use to make all sorts of shapes.


Together School

Each year I do less and less in our Together School....we are definitely becoming more spread out in our subjects! The one thing I will do each school day that is required of all my children is Bible. And we will continue to go through Bible Doctrine for Teens and Young Adults by James Beeke.




With the younger ones I will still go over English From the Roots Up and have a daily literature reading time.


And that is the plan.

Of course, the plan changes from time to time. Since I review products, I incorporate them into our daily school, and sometimes they become long term subjects. Or, I find that a certain curriculum doesn't fit my child's learning style, so we'll switch it up.

But it is nice to have a plan, and to know where we are headed.



Comments

Popular Posts