Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Monday Musings (Actually, Tuesday's Tidbits)

What I'm thinking: That I completely forgot to do my Monday Musings yesterday. Blogging was just way down low on the priority list....what things were more important on my schedule? Laundry, teaching a sweet girl how to multiply, listening to another precious someone read, training our goats, figuring out algebra problems, cleaning the kitchen, doing some IEW planning for co-op, cleaning out the goat pasture, writing a review on this, and correcting history questions.

What I'm listening to: Silence at this very moment. Not to last for long, though.

What we're learning: In history the kids are taking a detour and learning about Ancient China before we start in on Ancient Rome. I am also thinking up fun ways to teach a very visual child how to do multiplication. Yesterday we drew circles and put the same number of teeny rocks into each, to show how it all works.

What I'm watching: The Olympics are over. We all had a blast watching the different events, but I was not that impressed with the closing ceremonies. And Mr. P, head of Russia, seriously NEVER smiles.

What's cooking: This week I am making a roast chicken in the slow cooker, Japanese Curry, and Pineapple Chicken Quesadillas.

What I'm thankful for: I am thankful for my warm socks. I have found that having them is key, to keeping me warm on cold days.

What I'm planning: Co-op Planning....we don't follow a traditional school calendar year...we take off some time in May for our fair, and go all the way to Fourth of July in the summer. S we are just a couple weeks away from the older kids finishing Chemistry 101, and we are 2 weeks away from finishing IEW's level B. I do love IEW but I'm not made of money, so I am looking around at different programs that teach essay writing. And for our co-op science? We are thinking to do biology, complete with the fetal pig, earthworm, and all those other things you get to dissect.

What we did this last weekend: We had our county presentation day...and all three kids got gold! So they will all move on to the sectional competition next month at UC Davis. Sunday we went to church and heard a convicting sermon on the church, then home for a relaxing afternoon.

What I'm looking forward to: We have co-op this week, and we also have a few days of rain coming up. While the rain makes it very miserable to take care of and clean up after the goats, we desperately need it here in California.

A picture to share:


~County Presentation Day (Mr. Lego had already changed)

Presentations Given:
Mr. Lego: The Auction of All Auctions (Talking about the Junior Livestock Auction}
Bookworm: This Little Goat Went to Market (How to purchase, train, and care for your market goat)
Dasher: An Interpretive Reading from The Twits (Included a memorized introduction and conclusion.

2 comments:

  1. Rocks for multiplication! Please share pictures if it works. I've been reviewing multiplication facts with my son, and we have not been having that much fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Jennifer! And that gives me a blog post idea... :-)

    ReplyDelete