Monday, October 21, 2013

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That it was a good school day today. First I spent time doing one-on-one school with the younger two...mainly doing phonics, math, and reading. (My focus in the younger years.) The older two were working independently on chemistry, history, math, and grammar. Then we all gathered for Together School where we read some science, did Bible, memory work, and our newest subject: Beginning French. Then the older two spent the rest of the afternoon finishing up their writing and literature assignments. A very good day!

What I'm reading: I picked up the book Bouchon Bakery by Thomas Keller and Sebastian Rouxel at the library. I don't think I'll ever eat at The French Laundry, but I could be up to making some of the pastry recipes that are in the book

What I'm listening to: A little bit of Andrew Peterson. Lovely music.

What we're learning: This week the older two are beginning to learn about the Periodic Table in chemistry. Fun. There are a couple of Algebra and Bible tests, and then in history all of the kids are learning about Ancient Africa and the Phoenicians.

What I'm watching: Over the weekend we watched The Right Stuff (fast forwarding a couple of parts) with the kids. That was the movie that I watched when I was younger that really got me hooked onto the history of the Space Race.

What's cooking: This week I am making my blogging friend's Chicken Shawarma, Persian Chicken and Rice, and Donburi.

What I'm thankful for: I am so thankful for music. It lifts me up, makes me sing, and sooths my soul.

What I'm creating: Each week until Nationals in November, the Avian Bowl Team will meet to practice. Since a good chunk of the material comes from the Eggcyclopedia and is about cooking eggs, we are preparing egg dishes each week. Last week we poached and baked eggs and this week it will be custards....both stirred and baked.

What I'm planning: I need to get planning for my communication project. Our next meeting is coming up and I need to work out the specifics. We are also starting our goat project up in November and I need to come up with a loose scope and sequence for the year.

What we did this last weekend: We did our normal Saturday stuff; a bit of cleaning and organizing that needed to be done. Saturday evening my Sweetie and I went to a park to play tennis while the kids played on the playground. Then Sunday to church and Sunday school, then home to fellowship with a precious family. Then back again for evening worship.

What I'm looking forward to: I am looking forward to making Persian food this week; I have some fun recipes for Crusty Persian Rice, Baba Ghanoush, and cucumber salad that I want to try. I am also looking forward to cleaning out that darn closet in the garage which has become a catch-all for everything. We'll see if I have time to do it this week....

A picture to share:



~Sisters three.....


2 comments:

  1. Okay Charlotte, the way you always include such fun cooking ideas? Seriously inspiring. Persian food! Honestly, I think you just need to put together weekly meals plans including recipes and send them to me because I never do ethnic cooking, and you are SO creative in that! I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melissa, you are too sweet. I have an addiction with trying new recipes. The chicken came from an online recipe (http://www.food.com/recipe/persian-chicken-dish-320560), the Persian Rice is from Cooking Lght (http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/crunchy-recipes-00412000077163/page7.html) and the Baba Ghanoush is from the cookbook Real Food. I'll try to remember to send it to you.

    And when I had a 5 year old, 2 and 1 year old, we were eating easier things. It's just stages in life. :-)

    ReplyDelete