Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That today flew. Seriously. I did my morning stuff and then plunged directly into school; that went into the afternoon and then I had a few errands to run. Home for dinner, and this is the first bit of time I have had to sit down and write.

What I'm reading: In literature I am reading aloud the sequel to the book we read last year by Gerald Durrell. It is titled Birds, Beasts, and Relatives, and tells humorous stories about his childhood on an island in Greece. Beware though, there are a few places where I am paraphrasing....

What we're learning: This week the older two are writing a three paragraph story in their writing class. They are learning about story sequencing and fun dress-ups they can use to make the story more lively. In history we are still learning about Egypt; the younger two are looking through elementary books I have about Egyptian life. And in memory work I am having all of them memorize Psalm 121.

What's cooking: This week we are having a leg of lamb that a dear friend gave us. It is from one of her lambs that she butchered, which makes me nervous that I will mess up this gorgeous piece of meat. I am planning to have green beans, rosemary baked potatoes and a salad with it. Other things on the menu? Indian Curry and Pesto-Turkey Sandwiches.

What I'm buying: Today I headed out to Costco...always a fun place, especially with all the samples. And I found a great deal for coconut oil...

What I'm praying: As you know, I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse Crew. (All my homeschooling reviews come from this wonderful company.) Over the weekend, one of my crewmates unexpectedly went home to be with the Lord. I am praying for her husband, two young boys, and extended family, as they deal with the days ahead.

What I'm planning: Well it is my turn to teach in our Chemistry class this week in co-op...I need to watch the lesson and do some lesson planning.

What we did this last weekend: We traded kiddos with one of my best friends for a day....all the girls went to her house and her son came to mine. The guys repaired under our sink and made it look like new. Sunday we went to church and then had friends over, and then back to church for an excellent sermon on Daniel 8. What a comfort to see how God is in control of all things.

What I'm looking forward to: We have co-op this week, which we always look forward to, and a quiet weekend ahead.

A picture to share:


~Today's Together School:

History: Pyramid by David Macaulay
Bible: The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study by Starr Mead
Memory Work: Psalm 121
Art: Starry Night (Van Gogh); The Gleaners (Millet)
Literature: Birds, Beasts, and Relatives by Gerald Durrell


Comments

  1. Now that we are homeschooling more officially, and using a set curriculum, I think of you often... and wonder how you do it... and you give me hope for the future, because someday I hope to have a routine, and feel my feet beneath me again. :) You are an encouragement and blessing, and your example is overflowing with grace.
    Just wanted to say THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gracious Charlotte Garland! I got your comment on my blog and cannot believe that the crazy blogging world has connected us! Yes, I went to Valley Church and I"ll have to admit, I more than remember your name, but don't remember any specific interaction! Although with youth group and all the activities, I'm sure we had plenty of interaction.
    So cool to hear that you're a homeschooling moma to all these amazing kids!
    So cool. I will check out your publication.
    We are a part of Classical Conversations and so far we are really enjoying it!!
    Blessings!
    Raeanne Jones Newquist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your gracious words, Melissa! Oh I have definitely had my crazy days! I look back when I had a 6 year old, 3 and 2 year old, and wonder how I did it. You are very encouraging to me too, dear friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raeanne!! So neat to find out it really is you! I remember having youth events at your parent's home in Saratoga, your mom and you singing in church, and that musical we did in Junior High, when we were gangs living on the streets. So long ago!

    I have heard great things about CC; one of my friend's is a director in my area.

    Have a blessed week; I plan to check your blog more often. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts