Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer Garden

 Pretty much every morning this last week I have gone out to water.

Which reminded me that I wanted to take garden photos, and then when I was editing them, I remembered that I had never written a post about our garden this year.

This year was special because I decided to do lots of our plants from seed.

Even though we only got a whopping 5 tomatoes from our 6 plants last year, I wanted to torture myself further by challenging myself to start from scratch.




Nothing special, not even heirloom seeds.

Last year I spent $9 on some beautiful looking heirloom tomatoes, which in the end accounted for 2/5ths of my harvested crop. (2 tomatoes.)

I was on the ball (which is am important step when planting by seed), and got these into my little planters in mid-February.






I planted both Roma and Beefsteak; 2 or 3 seeds in each pod, with 21 pods per variety.



I also started basil and eggplant from seed.

About 10 days later this started happening:






My little babies.




After a couple of weeks they started leaning towards the window, so I would rotate the container every few days so they wouldn't get weird stems.

For the last couple weeks of March I took them out during the day so they could start hardening...you can see how leggy they got, having to reach for the light.




\
Finally the first week of April I transplanted them into larger containers.





And then about three weeks later I transplanted four of the best of them into their final home, 2 Earth Boxes. The girls felt sorry for the ones that I didn't choose, so they took some of them and planted them around the yard.

 And then May hit and we were in full county fair/goats/rabbit/4H mode. I remembered to water, but didn't step out onto the deck with my camera, until this week.

My babies have certainly grown.




That is 4 tomato plants in two earth boxes, and they are loving it.


And what's more important, I am now seeing these lovelies.




Lots of lovelies.


Earth Boxes rock.



And the rest of the garden?

My lettuce, which has shocked me by surviving the heat we have been having, is still going strong from the spring.



(If you look closely, you can see a small tomato plant that was rescued by a merciful little girl.)


The cucumbers...




Which are pumping out 1-2 a week for us.



That long one was hiding from me, which explains why he was allowed to grow so big.


In the mornings the bees love visiting the cucumbers and I love watching them do their work.





The pole beans...which only give enough to pick 2-3 a day, which is never enough to do anything with but to eat them off the vine.



There is only one reason why I have these guys: they are so easy to grow from seed and grow so quickly, that if I am having a bad garden year, I can at least say that I can grow beans.



The Japanese cucumbers, which are between my beans, are growing slowly and steadily.


No cuks yet, but I am a patient person.

Usually.



The watermelon; which I also started from seed.

Another lesson in patience.






But the one plant that is really testing my perseverance is the eggplant.



 I transplanted that thing 2 months ago, and it still looks exactly the same. No new leaves or nothing.

Whatever.



The zucchini, which seems to love this spot in the yard.




I am getting about 1 zucchini a week and am hoping that increases a bit.





 On this side of the yard is the herb garden.

 
As you can see, the oregano and rosemary are taking over.
 
 
And behind the herbs are.....


My strawberries.

These are from last year and are giving us a handful a week, which is the most I have ever gotten.



My comfrey.

 
 
I love this plant and all of the wonderful things it can do for injuries, rashes and broken bones.
 
 
 
There is color in our backyard was well; in the spring I let the girls plant cheap bulbs and they have been pleased with what came up.
 


 
 
And of course my roses....





Garden work is never finished....I am planning to have Mr. Lego pull these rocks out, and plant more lettuce in the fall.




So all in all, I think I am having a pretty successful garden year.

 
 
 
How is your garden growing?
 


1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic, Charlotte! So rich and luscious. Kinda jealous. :) Enjoy the fruits of your labors!

    ReplyDelete