Monday, April 15, 2013

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That today was one of my crazy days. We did school in the morning, headed out to run some errands, took my son to a job interview (he got the job!), then out again for more running around. But hey, I got my Monday Musings written while it was still Monday...

What we're learning: This week we are starting a new Spanish curriculum that I am reviewing, Dasher is moving along in her writing program and starting to learn "dress-ups", which are fun ways to make writing more interesting, and the older two are studying rabbit handbooks for our fair.

What I'm watching: My garden grow! This last Saturday I got my beans, watermelon, chives, more lettuce, and zucchini in. I transplanted my tomato plants into larger pots; they are now about 4 inches tall and I plan on getting them into the ground in a couple of weeks.

What's cooking: I finally made my own wheat bread! The kids love it and have asked me to not buy the stuff from the store anymore. And with my bread machine that does the kneading, it is super easy. For dinner this week I am making a vegetable stir fry, chicken tacos in the crock pot, and Monte Cristo sandwiches.

What I'm buying: I did some of my monthly shopping today and forgot batteries. So back I'll go again, sometime later this week...

What I'm thankful for: I am thankful for a friends who help me out at the last minute today. And you know who you are...

What I'm praying: I am praying for those who are injured or who lost loved ones in Boston today. That God would be merciful and give grace to the hurting.

What I'm planning: To write a couple of reviews this week. I've got a literature guide to write about plus a fun math fact computer program as well. I also need to watch more of the Teacher DVD for our writing class and do some assignments.

What we did this last weekend: We spent Saturday outside, and then over to a friend's house for dinner. Yesterday we heard a convicting sermon on anxiousness, then over to a friend's house for a surprise birthday party.

What I'm looking forward to: We have rabbit rank sheet tests this week....these are written tests that the kids do as a part of our county rabbit project. And we have our normal co-op meeting on Wednesday, and a quiet weekend ahead.

A picture to share:



~Saturday gardening.....

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on making your bread! That's something I am always planning to get around to doing and just don't. Wanna share your recipe? ;-) Your gardening inspires me! We had a garden last year, and the deer/rabbits/etc. ate much of it! Any tips??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! Here is the recipe I used....


    6 C Whole Wheat flour (just grind 4 C wheat berries = same)
    1/2 c. wheat gluten
    1/3 C oil (we use coconut, but you can use any vegetable oil if you don't have it)
    1/3 C honey
    2 T yeast
    2 t salt
    2 C warm water (sometimes needs a smidge more - eyeball it and if it looks dry, add a little more)

    Dump flour in mixer, add all other things on top except water. Turn it on and gradually add water to mix. I knead for 10 minutes and let it sit in the bowl for 30-40 minutes until doubled. Punch down, shape into loaves, let it rise until over the pan. Preheat oven to 350, bake 25 minutes until done. Remove from pans, let it sit until cooled and then eat it.

    And it is SUPER easy to do and yummy too.

    And I don't have any tips about the wildlife getting into the garden...we live in suburbia and my battle is more with slugs and snails. :-) I have heard there are some deer resistant plants you can plant on the perimeter of your garden....maybe that would help.

    ReplyDelete