To My Son: 16 Years Ago Today.....

16 years ago yesterday I went in for an ultrasound. You weren't due for another 5 weeks, but I had already been in the hospital for premature labor.

 {Cooking in our little kitchen, a month before you were born}


The doctor said that you were going to do better on the outside, so she told me to go the hospital. I quit taking my labor-stopping medication, called the grandparents, and headed with Dad to the hospital.

16 years ago yesterday, you were sunny-side up. That meant that I had lots of back pain in labor and had to work harder to get you out. I wimped out and got an epidural, tried to sleep, and held Dad's hand.

I worked for 9 hours.

Then, you arrived.


At 12:45 AM, all 3 pounds and 15 ounces of you burst into the world.

I was so happy to hear you cry.

After they cleaned you off and I got to hold you for a bit, they took you to the NICU, while I went to my room and slept.

16 years ago today, I got my first good look at my boy.




Throughout the day we all got to hold you.

 {Grandma & Grandpa}


For the next ten days I would go to the hospital at least twice a day to see you. I was so thankful we lived across the street and I could walk over whenever I wanted to!

 {Chillin' out under the bili lights}


It was hard trying to get some sleep, making sure you had milk, holding you with all the wires, and saying good bye each night.

{Dad, giving you some of my good milk}


Finally, ten days after you were born, we took you home.



You were so small that even when you stretched, your body still all fit on a cloth diaper.




We were so glad to have you home.



And now look at you.



Happy Birthday, my son.

May you trust in the Lord with all your heart, and not depend on your own understanding, but know and acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
{Prov. 3:5-6}


Comments

  1. Beautiful post. Happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post, and what lovely photos you have from when he was born!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely story! I was touched by the photo of your mom with her grandson. I am so glad she had this joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooooo beautiful, Charlotte. It made me all teary. I am so very blessed to be friends with you and yours.

    Happy Birthday, Mr. Lego!

    Love,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you made me cry.

    What a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pictures from when he was born! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much everyone!

    Rebecca, I love it that my mom was able to be in the delivery room when I had him. I tell all my kids, when they see pictures of her holding Mr. Lego, that that is how she would have held them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. On so many levels.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts