Friday, February 8, 2013

Fun Food

Last Saturday we decided to have a fun food night. Which meant we were not trying to include all the food groups or count calories.

And what is the one appliance we pull out when we want that kind of a meal? The deep fryer, of course.

The next thing I did was grate some cheese.


You can't go wrong with those two things.


First up to fry were homemade corn dogs. (No, I am not that crazy....only the breaded part was homemade.)


And yes, my Sweetie is using chopsticks. And I have to say that they do make the job much easier.

This is a very simple recipe....we cut the dogs into thirds to make them easier to handle, dipped them into cornbread batter, and then into the fryer they went.



These could sit on the stove and warm for a while.

 In an attempt to have some kind of pseudo-nutrition, I also decided to bake some potato and sweet potato fries in the oven. I tossed them with olive oil and sea salt and put them into a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes, stirring them around a couple of times.


But since the deep fryer was out of storage, I had to try deep fried french fries. I had read up on the proper way to fry them and found out that the best way to do it is to double-fry them. First you fry them for 2-3 minutes at about 325 degrees, then at the last minute, you throw them in again for a couple minutes at 365 degrees.

Meanwhile Mr. Lego was busy frying hamburger patties on the griddle.




Now this is where things got experimental. A few months ago my Sweetie and I went to the Squeeze Inn. This place puts massive amounts of cheese on your burger, steams it with chips of ice on their gigantic griddle, which then forms the cheese skirt. Here is a photo below of our burger which we SPLIT.


We could totally do that.

Yeah, right.

So on went the cheese and ice chips. (Which we made by putting ice in a plastic bag and hitting it with a glass jar on the counter. Very technical.)




 Then on went the lid.


 While this was going on, my Sweetie opened up the deep fryer for experiments.

The kids grabbed the Joe-Joe's in the pantry, and I cut more cheese up to fry.



 Back to the burgers....



 Hmmm, not exactly like Squeeze Inn, but still very cheesy. I think we just couldn't get the griddle hot enough to crisp up the cheese. My Sweetie says that the next time (if there is a next time), we'll try it in the cast iron skillet on the stove.




The fries went back into the deep fryer for their second fry.


And I must say that this was the closest I have ever gotten to fast-food type fries in our house. See my oven-baked ones on the baking pan in the photo below? I tossed them in a few good glugs of olive oil and they still got mushy and stuck to the pan.

The fried cheese?


It disappeared! There was only one piece that survived without the cheese oozing out of the batter.

Here was my burger. The cheese skirt was not crispy like I wanted but hey, when you're eating cheese that's been fried, it's delish.




A corndog, which dipped in mustard and ketchup is quite yummy.




But the winner of the evening was the deep fried Joe-Joe. This was exactly what you would get at the fair....a bite full of warm, chocolatey, crunchy tastiness.


And that was our dinner. Not a green thing in sight. We do eat pretty healthy for all our other meals. (We all came into the kitchen and chugged glasses of water a couple of hours later because of all the salt, and I was really craving some fruit for breakfast the next morning.)

But it is fun, once in a GREAT while, to just plain eat bad.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is quite the burger!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like fun! :)
    But I have to confess, I have no idea what a Joe-Joe is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa! :-)

    Melissa, a Joe- Joe is a cookie from Trader Joe's. It is their version of an Oreo. (But without any hydrogenated stuff.) :-)

    ReplyDelete