Monday, December 17, 2012

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That it is cold out there. I really struggle with being cold in the winter, and this last week it has been getting into the low 30's in the mornings. I am really only warm when I am in the hot shower or am in between my flannel sheets.

What I'm listening to: The washer and dryer going....I've already got a load in there this morning....it seems like the laundry just keeps piling up.

What we're learning: We are taking a break for the next couple of weeks from school. I have already been told twice today that it has been nice to not be doing math and writing. I am glad for the break, but I'll be working a little bit to tweak some of their school schedules.

What's cooking: This week I am making Butternut Squash Soup, Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas, and Beef Tacos. My slow cooker meal of the week is something called Hirino Psito, which is basically slow-roasted pork.

What I'm buying: I think I have finished all my gift buying; we don't make too big a deal of Christmas gifts, but I do still need to go out and get one last gift card.

What I'm thankful for: I am thankful for my precious children. They all got extra hugs this last week; I am so thankful that they are healthy and that God has graciously given them to me.

What I'm creating: This week I am creating Christmas treats! I'm planning to make Apricot Crescents, Chocolate-Orange Pinwheels, Salted Chocolate Caramels, and Peanut Butter Kisses.

What I'm planning: To take a break from blogging. I'll be posting our annual family letter in the next couple of days, and then be back to my regular musings and posts in the New Year.

What we did this last weekend: We celebrated Dasher's birthday on Saturday with a fun walk, steak dinner, and all of us piling into our bed to watch the third Hornblower. Sunday we went to church and heard a convicting sermon about prayer and feeding on the Word. Then after Sunday school we had our good friends over for the afternoon, then back to church for evening service.

What I'm looking forward to: We have a 4-H rabbit project meeting tomorrow, and then later this week we will head over to the food bank and help pass out food. And our co-op is having a massive gingerbread-house-making-day that the kids are eager about. I'm looking forward to getting some fun baking done, and just spending time hanging out with the kids.

A picture to share:


 ~On our walk Saturday afternoon....





~The birthday girl


~Twelve candles




4 comments:

  1. Happy happy birthday!!! :)

    Lexi-stopping by from the crew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Dasher!!

    Also, you have my sympathy with the cold. I have the same issues with the heat and no one seems to understand. I feel immobile and find it hard to even leave the house when it gets hot.
    Costco sells nice heated gloves you might want to look into. I haven't ever used them, but they always catch my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heated gloves would be wonderful!! I'll have to look next time I go. I always think that I would like to do what they did in Laura Ingalls and put hot potatoes in my pockets...

    And Stef, we are probably living where we should be living. You in the cool NW, and me in the hot central valley. :-)

    And thank you from Dasher for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete