Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: About yesterday's sermon. I was convicted about what motivates me to do the things I do. And in my heart it has to do with trying to impress others, thinking much more of myself than I am, and craving man's empty praise. Instead I need to be thinking heavenward, with my mind on Christ, and his grace. I still need to work hard to do the things I need to do, but with a different perspective in mind.

What I'm reading: I usually have a couple books going on at the same time...I am still reading Make the Bread, Buy the Butter, and One Thousand Gifts, plus I am slowly reading through Paul Tripp's A Shelter in the Time of Storm.

What we're learning: I finished the Autumn lapbook with the younger two which they loved...it made me realize that I don't do as much hands-on stuff with the younger ones, and should do this more often. This week the older two are studying Wakefield by Nathaniel Hawthorne in literature, doing a chapter on Mercury in their astronomy book, and starting to work on their 4H presentations.

What I'm watching: The streets dry out from our crazy rainstorm. Yesterday on the way to church we saw a massive oak tree that had come down, we went through a pretty large puddle in our car on a busy street, and passed a church that was flooded. In the last 4 days I think we have gotten about 5 inches of rain, which is a lot to us considering our rainfall total for the whole year is around 18 inches. More rain coming Tuesday and Wednesday.

What's cooking: This week I am making Split Pea Soup, Vegetarian Curry with Chicken (I am following a vegetarian recipe, but am going to add chicken), and Chicken Chiaquiles. This is a lovely layered casserole with chicken and chile verde sauce. Yum.

What I'm thankful for: Today I am thankful for fuzzy bathrobes and wool socks.

What I'm creating: Over the weekend my parents brought me some bookshelves. Right now they are standing in our garage...over the next week I plan to organize our 1000+ books and switch out some old, sagging bookcases for the new ones.

What I'm praying: I am praying for a family we know who recently lost their dad/husband to leukemia. Praying for comfort, peace, and wisdom. God is good.

What I'm planning: Tonight is our poultry meeting... a couple of the kids are doing mini-presentations on poultry parts, and we are going to be learning about the different chicken and bantam breeds.

What we did this last weekend: Saturday we braved the crazy weather and went wine tasting with some friends. Then yesterday was church, our fellowship meal, and the assisted living service. A busy but profitable day.

What I'm looking forward to: Just a normal week. Next weekend we are getting together with our friends and we'll attempt to take our yearly family photo; I'm praying the weather will cooperate.

A picture to share:





~Yes, I let me youngest go out during a break in the rain and jump in the puddles. 

Comments

Popular Posts