Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: I can't believe it is already November. Thanksgiving is only 2 1/2 weeks away, people!

What I'm reading: This week I am reading Hiding to Survive by Maxine B Rosenberg during our Together School Time. These stories of Jewish children that were hidden and escaped the holocaust are very sobering.

What we're learning: This week the older children's history presentations are due for co-op; Mr. Lego is doing his on the secret spy ideas from World War II, and Bookworm's is talking about a Christian family who hid Jews during the war. The younger two are just plugging along with their studies....Nutsy is really enjoying her phonics/spelling program from IEW.

What I'm watching: The season change. Here in California, we are finally getting some fall color. Usually it is strongest around Thanksgiving....I need to get outside with my camera and get some photos.

What's cooking: This week I am making Spaghetti and Meatballs one night, Chicken in Mustard Sauce (which is not what it sounds like and very mild) another, plus our normal Friday pizza night. I also have Bookworm slated to cook one night; she'll be making a Beef, Cheese, Noodle Bake with steamed vegetables.

What I'm thankful for: I am so thankful for the freedom we have to homeschool. I couldn't imagine not being with my kids all day and (most of the time) love teaching them.

What I'm creating: I am trying to think of some fun Thanksgiving crafts my kids can do in the next couple of weeks. Any ideas?

What I'm planning: I am planning out our new venture in 4H - the poultry project. We are meeting this week and there are a couple of last minute things I want to do.

What we did this last weekend: We did some deep cleaning in our house on Saturday....you know, the things you don't normally clean, like the baseboards, walls, door jams....of course no one will notice it but me. Then on Sunday we went to church and Sunday school. We had our monthly fellowship meal and then headed to the assisted living center. It was very encouraging; we had the most people come we have ever had. The kids enjoyed walking around afterwards and talking to the residents.

What I'm looking forward to: We have a couple of 4H meetings this week, co-op will meet also, and a friend and her children are coming for lunch today. And next weekend we have the grandparents coming for a visit, and we plan to head out to Apple Hill.

A picture to share:


~I'm also thinking of fun things I can do with apples....Apple Crisp, Dutch Apple Pie, Applesauce....

No comments:

Post a Comment