Monday, October 15, 2012

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That it is getting darker in the mornings. I was looking on a calendar and we don't have daylight savings until the first weekend in November. But then we will be losing light in the afternoon...

What I'm reading: I started reading a biography about Julia Child titled Dearie by Bob Spitz. Did you know that Julia was a horrible cook before she married Paul Child?

What we're learning: This week we are finishing up our individual planet learning with Pluto (yes, we are still calling it a planet), and continuing with World War II in history. The older two are analyzing news articles for writing, Nutsy is starting to spell short words, and Dasher is really enjoying her online reading/sight words/spelling program.

What I'm watching: Last night we introduced the children to the Horatio Hornblower series by A&E. They are well done and fun to watch.

What's cooking: This is a new menu month for me, and some of the things I am making this week are a lovely beef stew over garlic mashed potatoes, lentil soup, and Honey Garlic Chicken served with wild rice stuffed acorn squash.

What I'm buying: I have big shopping this week. The kids are growing....Mr. Lego needs new shoes and Bookworm grew out of two skirts within the last month. My dad would always tell me that he was going to put bricks on my head to stop me from growing and now I know what he meant.

What I'm thankful for: I don't mean to complain about the weather. I know I sound like I do on here sometimes; of course we all have seasons we prefer (and mine happens to be the hot summer), but I am very thankful for the weather changes and the mild climate that I do live in.

What I'm planning: I have a couple of reviews to start writing...one that teaches financial responsibility for teens, and another is the reading and spelling program that Dasher has been using.

What we did this last weekend: We started weatherizing the house....making sure the trees are away from the roof, cleaning out the gutters, little things here and there. We went to church on Sunday and then in our Sunday school class learned from Paul Tripp's DVD series on marriage. We learned how the war in our marriage is not between me and my husband, but between the Kingdom of self and the Kingdom of God. Really good stuff.

What I'm looking forward to: Just a normal week. Our friend's son came back from boot camp/tech school so we are going to have a welcome home party for him on Saturday. And we have our first 4-H rabbit project meeting this week.

A picture to share:



~October 2006, Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina; 3 of our kiddos and our friend's the G's. Time flies.

3 comments:

  1. Can't get over how big your kids have gotten in just a few short years!
    Also, I had no idea about Julia Child. Did they make that obvious in the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is precious. <3 Time flies indeed. I know it well!

    Love you,
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. They grow WAY too fast. :-)

    Stef, I don't think they portrayed that in the movie...it focused more on her life when she and Paul moved to France. But it did have lots of things right; it was that first meal in France of the simple fish and brown butter that opened her eyes to eating well and cooking. Before that, she said she was just filling the tank and didn't like to cook.

    ReplyDelete