Monday, August 20, 2012

Apologia - I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Athiest

Apologetics: The branch of theology concerned with the defense or proof of Christianity.

I have always called myself a Christian, ever since I can remember. But for some of my friends, they remember those moments of doubt, those times when they did not know what to believe. And we do live in a world where there are many who don't believe in God; and sometimes it takes more than just a "you have to have faith" response to answer to their questions and doubts. Enter the book, I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek and the accompanying curriculum workbook from Apologia.


Photobucket


 What It Is:

The book, written by two wonderful authors, gives compelling reasons to believe in our faith. It is always best to have an answer, and this book can help us and our young people to know what to say.

The book covers these topics extensively:

Truth about reality is knowledgeable.
The opposite of true is false.
 It is true that the theistic God exists.
If God exists, then miracles are possible.
Miracles can be used to confirm a message from God
The New Testament is historically reliable.
 The New Testament says Jesus claimed to be God.
Jesus' claim to be God was miraculously confirmed.
Therefore, Jesus is God.
Whatever Jesus (who is God) teaches is true.
Jesus taught that the Bible is the Word of God.
Therefore it is true that the Bible is the Word of God.


Photobucket


Logic arguments are used extensively throughout; the Road-Runner tactic, moral argument, and other arguments are used to prove the truth of Christianity. Through science and historical facts, the authors give many compelling reasons to believe, and to have faith, in God. You can see a sample chapter here.

The accompanying workbook, published by Apologia, is a helpful resource. This curriculum supplies questions, activities, and supplemental materials to encourage learning and discussion. Within each chapter there are four sections:

Hook: This is a review of that chapter of the book and includes a few questions.

Book: This section talks more specifically about the chapter, giving further insight into the topic.

Look: This component to the workbook gives the student specific assignments to complete. These are in-depth, writing and research assignments, that continue to teach and instruct.

Took: This final part summarizes the chapter material, and gives suggestions for applying the ideas learned.

Throughout the book there are short biographies of notable people: Carl Sagan, Augustine, Albert Einstein, and CS Lewis to name a few. These are very insightful and give further understanding into belief systems. There are places to write definitions, questions that challenge, and arguments to counter. This curriculum is meant take about 9 months to complete; spending about two to three weeks per chapter.

Photobucket

What You Get:

You can purchase both the book and workbook at the Apologia website; the book is sold for $16.00 and the workbook is $33.00. The 278-page workbook is spiral bound. You can see a sample chapter of the workbook here and view the table of contents as well.


How We Used This:

When I received this product I knew that my children were not quite ready for it yet; that and it being summer vacation meant that I was going to get to read through it and see what I thought. And I really enjoyed it. Ever since I can remember I have believed in Christ, and because of that, I feel in some ways that I almost have a blind faith. I believe in God because that is what I believe, and for me that seems enough. So reading this book was very good for me, it gave me "proof" reasons why God exists. And not just any God, but my God; the one who created me and made me to glorify Him. I saw how science proves that the universe was created, that historical evidences leave no doubt in Jesus' birth and resurrection, and the many reasons why we know that the Bible is true. In short, I was not only given the proof that my faith is correct, but also the tools to prove it.


What I Thought:

I really enjoyed reading the book. Since I was the only one reviewing it, I went through the workbook, reading the insight and questions to myself. I appreciated how some of the questions made me think, and challenged me in what I had just read. This was definitely a high school apologetics course, but the book could be used as a read aloud for younger children and would be a great opportunity to encourage discussion. Someday, when my kids are older, I would love for them to use this in our homeschooling; what a wonderful reminder to continue to train our believing children in defending our faith.

Check out what other members of The Crew thought about this product by clicking below.


Photobucket

Disclaimer: As a member of the TOS Crew, I received this product, at no cost to me, for my honest and humble review. All opinions are mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment