Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That I always need to be re-evaluating where I am at and where I should be going. My husband wisely had the children come up with some goals for themselves a couple of weeks ago and it made me think how important it is to have an objective. It might be a little one like cleaning off the computer desk, or larger ones ones like learning a skill, but it is important to know where you are going. So this week my kids are going to refine their goals and come up with some kind of schedule for them, while I am going to think about where our homeschooling is going, 4-H, and the schedules we have in the home.

What I'm reading: I am starting to read Paul Tripp's Age of Opportunity. I will be the mother of two teenagers later this year and want to read through this book.

What I'm listening to: Piano practicing behind me, room cleaning upstairs, clean up in the kitchen.

What we're learning: This week in history we are learning about the Slave Trade, William and Mary, John Locke, and The Salem Witch Trials. In science we are learning about beetles and flies. And Dasher finished one of her math units last week so she is excited to start another one.

What I'm watching: Last week my Sweetie and I watched a documentary called Alone in the Wilderness. Dick Proenneke moved to Alaska when he was 52 and constructed a wood cabin to live in. He used a tripod and filmed the entire thing. It is a fascinating video and the kids love watching it.

What's cooking: This week I am making Pesto Chicken, Chalupa, and Cream Cheese Chicken in the crock pot. Asparagus is still in season so I am planning to make an asparagus-garlic stir fry to go with the Pesto.

What I'm buying: Today is my big shopping day. So after we are done with school we will hit Target, Winco and Trader Joe's. Our family braved Costco on Saturday.....what a zoo, but it was nice to check it off the list.

What I'm thankful for: I am so thankful that I can homeschool. Not just that I am legally able to do it, but that God is giving me the strength and wisdom to teach my children.

What I'm creating: I would like to make some yogurt today. The problem is that it needs to sit for 8-10 hours as the last step. I really like doing this part overnight since it won't be disturbed, but then I always forget to add the starter at around 10 pm. Maybe I should set an alarm or something...

What I'm praying: I am praying for grace and mercy for those friends of mine that have teenagers. It is such a fragile age....young minds that want to know so much and be independent; may God give us wisdom as we guide and help them.

What I'm planning: Our co-op this year is coming to an end, but the co-op I am joining in June goes through the first half of the summer. (This is no problem; we do school up until the third week of July and take off until after Labor Day.) But this is throwing me for a loop; I do have a teaching component and I need to get going with my planning.

What we did this last weekend: We ran a couple errands on Saturday and went to a park in the evening, then Sunday went to church. I taught the cutest 5 and 6 year olds during Sunday School and then we went to our friends with a couple other families for yummy sausages, salads and cake. Then back for the evening service.

What I'm looking forward to: I am looking forward to a nice sunny week with temperatures in the mid to high 70's. I'm waiting for summer.

Pictures to share:




~All my favorite people, at the park on Saturday.

Comments

  1. My friend really recommends The Age of Opportunity book. You are right - teenagers are living at such a fragile age! I have experienced a lot of confusion in raising my niece, but God has helped me muddle through it all these past few years. She was raised very independently before I got her, so it didn't help things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goals - do you mean that cleaning off the desk should be somehow on there?! hehe

    Paul Tripp's Age of Opportunity - I would love to borrow this when you are done if I am not in line already. :)

    We both have Chalupa on the brain. Great minds and all that...

    When I do yogurt, I always use my microwave timer. I would utterly fail at yogurt if it wasn't for that. lol

    Yeah, get cracking on that music, will you? hahaha We are such task masters you know. ;)

    XO,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, Kate! And I am borrowing Age of Opportunity, but it is from a mutual friend. And if it wasn't for you we wouldn't be having Chalupa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lisa. I am excited to get through this book. Praying for you as you guide your teenager this week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts