Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That I am really ready for summer. I love short sleeve shirts, homemade ice cream, bare feet, and the sun shining on my face.

What I'm reading: I am not sure which book to pick up next. I don't really have any new ones around, which might be a good thing since I am not quite sure I'll have much reading time this week.

What I'm listening to: It's pretty quiet here right now. Some kiddos are starting their schoolwork, others are upstairs finishing their morning chores.

What we're learning: This week we are learning about Isaac Newton, John Bunyan, and William Penn in history. I have a couple of biographies on these men that the older children will read. Dasher is plugging her way through The Wizard of Oz, and Nutsy is almost done with her phonics book on consonants and short vowels.

What I'm watching: Over the weekend we all watched The Return of the King. So now all the kids have seen the whole Lord of the Rings; the two older ones had read the books and it was interesting to hear what things they would have liked to have seen in the movie. But it is already 3 hours long; we'll have to borrow the extended version from someone and see what we missed.

What's cooking: This week I am making Cumin-Pepper Curry, Tostadas, and Split Pea Soup. We usually have dessert on Fridays, and this week I am planning to pull out a bag of frozen apple slices from last fall to make an apple crisp.

What I'm buying: When I was just writing above that we are having Split Pea Soup, I remembered that the last time we made it we had company over, and so I used 2 packages of ham shanks from the freezer. Which means I have none in there now. Which means I need to make a special trip to the store. I hate it when that happens.

What I'm thankful for: I am thankful for our house. It is the perfect size for us; it keeps me from getting too many things and is easy to clean. And our neighborhood is nice and quiet too.

What I'm creating: Our garden! Instead of getting out there and planting everything in a day, we are doing it a bit slower this year. So I now have 5 tomato plants in, the snap peas, and a couple rows of lettuce and onions. My comfrey is coming back, there are some strawberries that survived from last year, and I was surprised to find that the oregano survived by growing almost right underneath the giant rosemary bush in the herb garden. So this week we will plant more lettuce and get the containers on the deck ready for planting.

What I'm praying: That I would see my children as individuals, with different needs and strengths. They are not cookie cutters of me, but have their own personalities and character, and I want to encourage them to love the Lord with all their heart and to glorify Him in all they do.

What I'm planning: I still have that review that I need to write, I have some photos from this weekend I want to edit, and I still want to post pictures from my grandpa's visit.

What we did this last weekend: We had a relaxing Saturday and took a nice bike ride with all the kids. For dinner we had PW's yummy Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas. We went to church yesterday morning, and then up to our friends house with a couple other families for a ham and turkey dinner. We all played volleyball for a while and also played 2 games of kids (those under 21) against adults (older and wiser). And I am happy to say that we beat those little whippersnappers. We adults can still run around the court and spike the ball.....for now....

What I'm looking forward to: We have a break from our co-op this week so the school week is a slower one. Our 4H club meeting is tomorrow night and is our 'fun' meeting; the officers are putting on a carnival for the rest of the club.

A picture to share:

The volleyball game....


 Kiddos on the trampoline....


 Everyone letting Jesse who is at boot camp know we are missing him.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I just love that picture! I wish we were in it though we were not for good reasons! :D

    Love you!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete