Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Turkey Meatball Soup

I made this delicious soup last week one night for dinner. A few of you asked to have the recipe, so here it is.

I got this from a Martha Stewart Living magazine...I am not even sure which issue it was in, but it was one from the late 90's, I think. Let me also just say that I love anything Martha Stewart.

First, you form your meatballs. I double the recipe, since lately my children have been having bottomless pits for stomachs.

This was actually the first time I used ground beef; usually I use ground turkey like the recipe calls for, but we didn't have any in the freezer.

Into a big bowl goes your ground meat and lots of spices.


Parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, garlic and oregano.


A lot of times I go out to our garden and just pick what we have and put that in, but right now the only thing out there is my perennial rosemary bush, taking over the whole herb garden.

And fresh is the best; my store has a 'poultry medley' of fresh herbs which includes parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. (Anyone going to Scarborough Fair?)



I don't make my meatballs very big; we would rather have smallish ones and more of them.



Set those aside in the fridge, and in a big pot put in some olive oil, chopped carrots and onions, and the same fresh herbs and garlic you put into the meatballs.




While that is sauteing, chop up some cabbage. Cabbage is a great, cheap filler in any soup.



When the onions are golden, add chicken broth, water and the cabbage.


This simmers for about 10 minutes, so that cabbage can soften up.


While that's happening I chop up some Swiss chard leaves....


....and then add the meatballs....



...and chard to the soup.


This cooks for another 8 minutes or so, until the meatballs and chard are cooked through.

The final step is to add some cooked pasta; any kind will do.



And that is it. I usually serve this with some nice, warm bread.



The really nice thing about this soup is that I know exactly what is in those meatballs. And if I had some frozen chicken broth from a roasted chicken on hand, this would be about as homemade as I can get.

Turkey Meatball Soup

Ingredients:

3/4 pound ground turkey                                         salt and pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced                                           1 medium onion, diced
3 T. chopped parsley                                               1 medium carrot, chopped
2 T. chopped oregano                                             4 cans 14 oz. chicken broth
1 T. chopped sage                                                   8 oz. water
1 T chopped rosemary                                            4 c. shredded cabbage
1 T. chopped thyme                                                2 c. swiss chard, cut into strips
2 t. olive oil                                                            8 oz. cooked pasta

Directions:

Combine all the spices in a small bowl. Place the ground beef, half of the spices and 3 cloves of minced garlic into large bowl. Mix well. Roll 1 teaspoon of turkey mixture to form a ball; repeat and set aside meatballs. Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, remaining garlic, and spices. Saute, stirring frequently until onions are golden, about 8-10 minutes. Add broth, water and cabbage, simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Add meatballs and swiss chard and let simmer until coked, about 8 minutes. Add cooked pasta and stir until heated through.

2 comments:

  1. I pinned this recipe to Pinterest! It looks SO good I cannot wait to make it!

    XO,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, Kate! There are a few steps, but it is so delicious!

    ReplyDelete