Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: Well this is the week that our Momma rabbits are due to have babies. They will probably be late, like they usually are, so we might not see babies until next week. We will still be going to fair of course, but it would great if the girls had market rabbits to take too.

What I'm reading: This last week I read one of the books I had my older two read in history, My Escape From the Auto De Fe by Don De La Mina. This powerful book set during the Reformation is about a man, Don Fernando, who was scheduled to be burned at the stake for his faith and escapes. He disguises himself, and tried to rescue his fiance and find freedom. I also loved it that the story is based on notes that Fernando left to his son.

What I'm listening to: Quiet. The kids are having a hard time adjusting to the time change so they are half asleep while they are doing their morning chores.

What we're learning: This week in history we are learning about John Smyth, Pocahontas, The Thirty Years' War, and the Pilgrims. I am speeding up history just a bit; we are going to try to get through the 1600's and do an overview of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars before June. Bookworm and Mr. Lego are leading our county rabbit 4-H meeting later this week, so they need to plan out a couple of presentations and get some things ready. In co-op we are studying ants and learning about the states and capitals, and the older ones have a grammar test.

What I'm watching: The rain clouds are coming in.....we actually have a solid 9 days of rain ahead of us according to the weather website. We do need it but I am going to miss the sun.

What's cooking: Tonight I am making homemade marinara sauce with pasta, roasted cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli, and a salad. Other things on the menu this week are crock pot Lemon Chicken with my homemade Fried Rice, Tex Mex Pasta, and yummy Chalupa.

What I'm buying: This is my big shopping week so I am making out my monthly menu. I have all sorts of things running through my head and I'm trying to wisely decide if it's either something we truly need, or something we can live without.

What I'm thankful for: I am so thankful for my friends. They are real; they have good and bad days just like me, and through it all we can encourage and pray for each other.

What I'm creating: There are some big changes coming in our co-op plans; this is exciting and will fit our needs better, but at the same time we are very sad to be moving on from the group we are in right now. But I do need to get hopping with the co-op planning; next year I will be teaching music and am on the hunt for a curriculum/ resource that teaches children how to sing and read notes.

What I'm praying: I am praying for a young man we know well who is headed to boot camp and tech school this week. That he would find Christian friends while he is away, that he would be physically and spiritually strong, and that he learn quickly all that is being taught to him.

What I'm planning: We are planning to go out and visit the goat a couple times this week; she is still pretty skittish so we are just going into the pen and sitting with her, bribing her with hay and trying to get her used to us.

What we did this last weekend: We had a fun day Saturday at a good bye party for our friend who is going into boot camp. Yesterday we went to church; then I taught eleven very cute and curious 5 & 6 year olds during Sunday school. Then we went home for a relaxing afternoon with just our family. My Sweetie took the kids to the park for a while, we ate Tostadas, then all played a fun game of Cocktails.

What I'm looking forward to: We have our 4-H club meeting this week; it is the 'green' one, so my kids are trying to think of all the green things they can wear. This Saturday is the first one in a few weeks that we have nothing planned; my friend is inspiring me to 'eat Irish' so I might add some corned beef and Soda Bread to the menu.

A picture to share:

~ My babies, in 2007.

2 comments:

  1. Cute pic! "Amen" to friends! Are you making *homemade* chalupas? If so, I'd love the recipe! :-) Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, the recipe is super easy! But this Chalupa is not the one like Tostadas....this is actually a crock pot recipe which we put into warm tortillas.

    Here it is:

    3 lb. pork roast
    1 lb. dry pinto beans
    7 cups water
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 T salt
    2 T chili powder
    1 T cumin
    1 4 oz. can chopped green chilies

    Put all ingredients into a crock pot and cook on high for 8 hours or until beans are tender. Shred pork then serve in warm tortillas with salsa, sour cream, lettuce and avocados.

    Enjoy, and have a wonderful week too! :-)

    ReplyDelete