Secret Servants

We are starting a tradition this December and I thought I would share it with you. 


Secret Servant.




As each has received a gift, use it to serve another.
as good stewards of God's varied grace...

~I Peter 4:10


I got this idea from a friend, and varied it to fit our family.

At the beginning of December, we all drew each others' names out of a basket. (This took 10 minutes, because we kept having one person draw their own name, and then Nutsy, who isn't quite reading yet, forgot whose name was written on her slip.) 



We finally figured it out, and each have the name of another family member.

This month, we are doing special things for our secret friend. It might be a chore, it might be an extra job to help them; anything we can think of to bless that person. 




Maybe emptying the kitchen laundry basket....






...or setting the table for them.




But the trick is to keep it a secret.




We'll do this until Christmas Eve, when we will take guesses as to who we think our Secret Servant is, reveal who was serving who, and then give that person a small gift.




And since it can be kind of hard to tell if someone has done something for you, I had the idea to have a heart basket.




When someone does a special something, they are to leave a heart as well.



Christ was the ultimate servant, and we can in grace, show that love to others.

...and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. 
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, 
and to give his life as a ransom for many.

~Mark 10:44-45

Comments

  1. we did this all my life and I loved it!! I actually blogged about it the other day - the post just hasn't posted yet :)
    We called it Secret Angels and I have THE fondest memories from it. I've loved getting to share it with my family. Glad you guys are starting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to try it this year, Stef! But I wonder how it would have worked if my children were younger. My Sweetie and I did draw names too...we probably wouldn't have and then we would have been free to help the younger ones. :-)

    I cna't wait to read your post on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *can't* wait to read your post.....

    Yup, it was before 8 am when I wrote that.....my brain is not completely on yet....

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! I didn't even notice the misspell :)

    When they're younger its harder to keep it secret, but the whole "do this for Jesus" really leaves an impression.
    Kara will do something and then she can't wait for Ethan to find it, so she'll say "Ethan! go look on your bed!" or something like that ;-)
    I've noticed Ethan and Rachel have done really well with it this year and have come up with several ideas on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too cute! And I think I already know who Nutsy has.... I love this idea too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts