Monday, December 19, 2011

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That I still need to write our annual family letter, which I am planning to do tomorrow. And the stack of Christmas cards is sitting right next to me, ready to go to the post office today. I'm just a teeny bit behind, but everything should get to where it needs to go by Christmas.

What I'm reading: I wasn't going to do much reading this week, but last week at the library, Dasher found a good book; What I Eat: Around the World in 80 Diets by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluisio. A super fun book that shows what 80 people around the world eat in a day.

What I'm listening to: This is our first day of winter vacation, so I am letting the kiddos sleep in. One is awake behind me though, and I can hear book pages turning. And I am sure you can all guess who that is....

What we're learning: We are taking the next two weeks off of school. Our co-op is meeting this week for class though; we'll do the language arts class and do some work in our science class too. And when the kids get bored I'll have them work on their 4-H presentations.

What I'm watching: We still have fall leaves on the ground and in the trees....we have had a pretty dry December here, which is making our fall seem like it is lasting longer than usual. But on the weather website there is some rain coming next week.

What's cooking: This week we are having Sukiyaki, Golden Winter Soup and homemade Caesar Salad, Salsa Chicken, and of course our annual Christmas Eve Appetizer Night. Like I say, the reason I work out is because I love to eat....

What I'm buying: I don't need to buy anything this week. :-)

What I'm thankful for: I am so thankful for my children. They make me smile and laugh every single day.

What I'm creating: Later this week the kids and I are planning to make just a couple batches of cookies....probably Chocolate Pinwheels and Kiss Cookies.

What I'm praying: For health during this holiday season, and traveling mercies for those that are going places.

What I'm planning:  Today after I work out and take care of all my morning chores, the kids and I are descending on their rooms to dig out under the beds, go through the drawers, and deep clean the closets. A big job that needs to get done.

What we did this last weekend: We spent Saturday doing some organizing in the garage and then some serious clean up in the backyard. My Sweetie and the kids raked up bags of leaves, trimmed the bushes, and took care of the lawn. Sunday we went to church, and then over to a friend's house for some yummy pasta. After an afternoon of great conversations we went back to church for our monthly evening service.

What I'm looking forward to:  Later this week we plan to volunteer a couple days at the food bank with 4-H. Another evening we'll all pile into the car with hot chocolate to go look at lights. Then the following week we are excited to get to see our extended families for a few days. And of course we are looking forward to our annual New Year's Eve party....lots of food, games and fun. I'll be back to blogging regularly in the New Year!

A picture to share:

 ~Christmas 2006....




....Christmas 2011. My, how my babies have grown.

*For those of you who could not see the video in Mr Lego's Lego Class, I uploaded it again and it is working now. :-)

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe how little your littles are in this top photo! Time flies way too fast, doesn't it?

    Love you, friend!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Kate. Too fast for me. :-)

    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, your kids HAVE grown, quite a bit! that's amazing when you compare photos.
    Ethan would love the book you're reading. He has such an interest in other places around the world and how he people there live differently than us.
    I might check that out on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stef, it is a great book, especially for kids. The pictures are so impacting. These authors also wrote The Material World (a visual book seeing what possessions different families around the world have) and What the World Eats (photographs showcasing what different families eat in a week).
    They do have a website for this book...just google the title and you'll find it. :-)

    ReplyDelete