Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: I am tired this morning. We have to be up a bit earlier today and out the door to help pass out food to the needy. I am also thinking that I am so thankful that my children have this opportunity to help others this way.

What I'm reading: I am still reading A Brief History of Ancient, Medieval, and Modern Peoples by JD Steele I am just finishing Ancient Rome and then we are headed to the Dark Ages. I am not planning to do much reading this next week, though.

What I'm listening to: Not Christmas music......yet. But come Friday, we'll have it playing all day. It just doesn't seem right to listen to Angel's We Have Heard on High with a pumpkin on my coffee table.

What we're learning: We are taking a learning break this week, and I think we needed it.We haven't even had one sick/vacation day yet this school year. That has gotta be a record for us.....

What I'm watching: The leaves in full color this week. The fall color started out slow in my area, but now it is incredibly colorful.

What's cooking: I have a few easy meals the next few days, and then like millions of others, we'll partake of a turkey on Thursday. I did hear that one of my friends traditionally has lasagna on Thanksgiving.....do any of my other friends serve something other than turkey that day?

What I'm buying: I did all my food shopping last week, since I don't feel like hitting the stores in the mad rush this week.

What I'm thankful for: As we prepare today to go help pass out food at a local food bank, I am so thankful for the freezer full of food that we have.

What I'm creating: Last week I found a great deal at an apple farm near me....40 pounds of apples for $14. So we made 3 batches of applesauce that are in the freezer now...the box is still 3/4 full. So this week I am planning to make apple pie filling to freeze and also try to make apple fruit-roll ups.

What I'm praying: That I would not respond to the Lord's discipline with frustration, but with humility.

What I'm planning: Later today we have friends coming over and we are going to try to make candles with the kids. We'll see how that works. We are planning to go to the food bank another time this week, we have family coming from out of town on Thursday, and then we'll get into the Christmas mood Friday. Busy week, but very fun.

What we did this last weekend: We ran a couple errands and then the kids and my Sweetie 'winterized' the backyard. They cut back the roses, our tree, pulled out the vegetable garden, and raked up the leaves. Yesterday we heard a convicting sermon on Matthew 4, and then had friends over in the afternoon for fellowship. Then back to church for our monthly evening service.

What I'm looking forward to: Eating good food. Being with family. Trying a new appetizer recipe. Sleeping in. My Sweetie and I and our annual watching of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles the night before Thanksgiving. Finding the perfect tree. Getting down the box of Christmas decor, and remembering what is inside. Good times.

A picture to share:


~November 2007

4 comments:

  1. "The box" of Christmas decor? My hubby and grandson could only wish!
    "Good-bye, Mr. Chips" was one of my favorites when I was in high school.
    We found a paperback copy of "Ivanhoe" at a thrift store on Sat. for 13 cents. Had just been talking with grandson #3 about reading it. Now he has his own copy ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture--and all of you. :)
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianne, I just went out there and I think we actually have 2 boxes now. :-)

    And I LOVE finding good books at thrift stores too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, the feelings are very mutual. Your family is too precious to us. :-)

    ReplyDelete