Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: Daylight Savings is late this year and I don't like it. I have said before and I'll say it again, our bodies were not meant to wake up when it is still dark. And so I am happy that next week we will have light at 6:30 am, like we should.

What I'm reading: I enjoyed an article in the newest HSLDA magazine last week....Lessons learned from homeschooling by Michael Farris. A few lessons that stuck out to me: You can't be on Facebook and homeschooling, Do not fall into the trap of perfectionism, and Your marriage is more important than your curriculum. Good reminders.

What I'm listening to: Book worm on the piano. She is playing a song in a new key today - the key of D with two sharps, and she is constantly forgetting the C#'s....

What we're learning: Nutsy is hard at work blending short vowels. We'll learn R, P and T this week. Dasher is really coming along in math. She says her favorite part is counting money. The older two have some re-writes for their language arts class and are also working hard to memorize their chosen continent's countries for geography. Bookworm chose Africa and Mr. Lego is memorizing Oceania and South America.

What I'm watching: My kids grow. They don't need me as much....they can all dress themselves, bathe, brush their hair and teeth...life is moving too fast.

What's cooking: Spaghetti is on the menu tomorrow night. We'll have peas, bread and a nice green salad to go with it.

What I'm buying: I did forget to get a couple things at the store when we went grocery shopping last week. Later today if I have time, we'll run out to get them.

What I'm thankful for: I am thankful for the house I live in. It is not perfect, and I find myself wanting some things to be different, but then I stop myself and remember that God has me exactly where He wants me to be.

What I'm creating: I made my first amigurumi creature last week....a sock monkey! I worked on him while we were watching the World Series. Dasher claimed this little guy (you'll see him below), and so I am making another one for Nutsy.

What I'm praying: That I would not see, at the end of the day, the number of boxes I have checked off as finished, but rather what I have done to mold my children's hearts and teach them about Christ, both through my example and instruction.

What I'm planning: We have our artist study/composer study/art lesson this week in co-op which we always have a fun time at. Aside from that, school is normal this week. Three weeks to go before our Thanksgiving break!

What we did this last weekend: We did some serious searching for a missing library book on Saturday....I have a whole love/hate thing with the library. We had a fun game of Risk with the kids Saturday night....the boys made an alliance and wiped the girls off the board. Sunday we went to church and then over to a friend's house for a soup tasting party, wonderful, encouraging fellowship, and good times.

What I'm looking forward to: This week I am surprising the kids one day and making Caramel Apple Cider in the crockpot to drink during school. Every year around this time we collect fall leaves and do fun crafts with them....later this week we might head out and see if we can find any yet.

A picture to share:


~Here he is....I still need to give him eyes and then find some red felt to give him those classic red lips. 

6 comments:

  1. Loved those reminders from Michael Farris!
    I agree with you on the time change thing; yesterday was brutal wakin up when it was still dark.
    Learning to play 2 sharps was hard for me too! It's now my favorite key to play in, so tell her to keep at it :)
    I love the sock monkey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stef! I am SO ready for the time change. And sharps are my nemesis too, I am a flat girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That I would not see, at the end of the day, the number of boxes I have checked off as finished, but rather what I have done to mold my children's hearts and teach them about Christ, both through my example and instruction."
    This is something I am trying to focus on right now, especially as things are crazy with packing and preparing to move. I need this reminder right now. On my fridge. On my forehead. Everywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, it is such a struggle to not focus on how much I have completed! I think as homeschoolers, we sometimes feel that we need to live up to a certain standard, teach our kids everything under the sun, have a perfect house and a gourmet meal every night. And in the process, forget about our children's souls.

    I'll be praying for you this week, (and covet your prayers as well!) that we would remember the very precious and important task we have been given.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these posts Charlotte! That is such an adorable monkey!! Great job! I do like light in the morning, but I don't like it getting dark so early in the evening - I just want more light both times of day - LOL! :) See you soon friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lisa! For some reason I don't mind the darker evenings but I still miss the light....all in all I just like everything about the summertime and learn my lessons in patience during the winter. :-)

    ReplyDelete