Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Musings

What I'm thinking: That I have lots to do. And I have only 2 days to do it all in.

What I'm reading: I picked up a fun little book at the library last week; 101 Things I Learned in Culinary School by Louis Eguaras. And I'm learning lots of cooking hints and trivia...did you know that goat is the most popular meat in the world?

What I'm listening to: Right now the younger two are listening to some books on CD. The one playing right now is Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. Reading that book once when I was pregnant made me cry. Those pregnancy hormones....

What we're learning: Learning still goes on....even when we are not doing school. And when I thought of what the kids have learned this week I thought of this: a couple weeks ago we turned the TV on to start a movie and this show called Shark Tank was on. (We rarely watch normal TV.) We watched the episode with the kids which turned out to be a really interesting show. A normal person comes on the show, shows a bunch of 'sharks' their invention or business idea, and then asks for money in exchange for a share of his business. So last week the kids held their own Shark Tank. They came up with an idea, (Mr. Lego's was a chip clip turned into a card holder) and then showed how they could manufacture and sell it. We had some good conversations about marketing, profit/loss, expected sales, and of course, new inventions. We're not planning on making this a regular show we'll watch, but every now and then it will be a treat to turn it on.

What I'm watching: My garden. We had a big crop of tomatoes a couple weeks ago, but now, not so many. One of my zucchini plants mysteriously died and the pepper plant has stopped producing. But on the good side, I finally have a baby cucumber on the vine! And my friend reminded me last week, now is the time to start planning the winter garden.

What's cooking: Tonight I am making Pesto Chicken with Fettuccine. We'll have a green salad and some French bread to go with it too.

What I'm buying: We have a busy week ahead so I am heading out later today to do some grocery shopping. Things on the list: hot chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers, cup of noodles....fun weekend ahead...

What I'm thankful for: I am thankful for my house and yard. Both are small, but we have been able to fill almost all the walls with bookshelves, and have enough room outside to plant a garden and have our rabbits.

What I'm creating: I was thinking to start a simple knitting project. Maybe another washcloth?

What I'm praying: That I would truly delight in reading God's Word. So many times it seems like a chore; another box I am checking off. I pray that God would open my eyes while I am reading, and that I would remember to meditate on those words through the day.

What I'm planning: I'm making lists, crossing things off and checking things twice. It would really mess up our week if we forgot propane, or flashlights.

What we did this last weekend: We had a lovely day at home on Saturday. The men changed the oil in the car and the kids cleaned up the backyard, weeded and organized. Then we hit the pool in the afternoon. Sunday we heard a good sermon on Psalm 1, then had our church's annual talent show. From speeches to trumpets and flutes, to singing and piano solos, our church does have some great talent. Then we headed to the park with friends for a picnic lunch, volleyball and fellowship.

What I'm looking forward to: This coming week is filled with fun activities. Swimming, games, fun food that we only eat this time of year; good times.

A picture to share:


~Monkeys in the tree at the park yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment