Mediterranean Wraps

I have had some interesting conversations with a couple friends recently that make me think about how we eat. Our family chooses to eat foods that are not processed, and certain vegetables that are organic. We have our 1/4 of an almost organic pig in the freezer and the promises of garden tomatoes this summer. But how far do I take it? I would love to buy all organic, farm raised meat but after looking at a price list last week from a farm and seeing the prices ranging from $8.99 to $14.99 per pound, I just can't do it.

One of the things we did a couple of years ago when my husband was laid off and we were seeing how low we could get the bills was to eat a lot of vegetarian meals. Think of it, the bulk of your grocery bill is meat and cheese. And vegetarian meals can be quite yummy. One of my favorite Indian restaurants has a southern Indian influence, where they are all vegetarians, so there is no meat on the menu. Curries, samosas, chutneys, dosa bread... it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

So with this in mind I wanted to share one of our family's favorite vegetarian meals with you. This recipe I found in Cooking Light quite a while ago.

First the rice: I make long grain rice (or jasmine if I have it on hand) in the rice cooker, with a couple teaspoons of dried basil.




Then the veggies: Cut up green and yellow squash, red onion and bell pepper. Be sure to make them small enough since these will be going into a wrap. Toss them with some olive oil  and broil.
 


When they come out, I sometimes give them a little toss with some balsamic vinegar.




While the vegetables and rice are cooking I make the salsa. Chopped tomatoes, cilantro, diced red onion, garlic, salt and lime juice.



Finally I crumble some feta cheese in a bowl too.



To assemble the wraps, I warm a large tortilla on our gas stove. Then rice goes on, followed by the veggies, then a couple spoonfuls of the salsa and finally a sprinkling of feta.



Wrap up like a burrito and there you go. With this I might make a simple pasta salad, or for a treat have some oven baked potato chips from Trader Joe's.


Enjoy!

Mediterranean Wraps

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped tomato
3 T diced red onion
3 T chopped cilantro leaves
1 T lime juice
1/8 t. salt
1 garlic clove minced
3 c. hot cooked jasmine or long grain rice
2 t. dried basil
1 c. chopped bell pepper
1 c. diced zucchini
1 c. diced yellow squash
1/4 c. chopped red onion
2 t. olive oil
2 T balsamic vinegar
6 large flour tortillas
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese

Directions:

Combine first 6 ingredients in bowl and set aside.

Combine rice and basil, set aside.

Arrange bell pepper, both squashes and 1/4 c. red onion on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Broil for 12 minutes of until browned, stirring halfway through. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired.

Warm tortillas; spoon 1/2 c. rice, down center. Top each 1/2 roasted vegetables, 3 T tomato mixture and 2 T feta cheese; roll up.

Other vegetarian recipes I love:

Karra's Tostadas with Jalapeno-Lime Sauce with Refried Beans

Quesadilla Pie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts