Double Chocolate Trifle

A couple of months ago, I decided to make a chocolate cake. (Yes, it has been a couple months since this happened, but as you will soon see, it allowed me some time to experiment and improve my creation.)

I opened up a cookbook that my Sweetie had given me before we were married that has all sorts of recipes in it. It's a massive thing, that my girls sometimes use to press flowers.  Some of the recipes are flops, others are intriguing and the whole low fat section is a big joke.  But I absolutely love the part on chocolate, cakes and  desserts. How can you go wrong when you are dealing with eggs, butter, chocolate and flour?

This particular afternoon I chose to make the Wellesley Fudge Cake. I have no idea what a Wellesley Cake is. But since I am writing this post and I am on the internet, I decided to look it up. And I didn't find much. It looks like some students from Wellesley Women's College found the recipe and it was all the rage in the 60's. Anyways, here is the photo from the cookbook that showed what the cake would look like:


Looks so lovely, right? So I followed the instructions perfectly. And put it in the oven. Then brought it out, set the pans on a rack and after about 10 minutes, started trying, very delicately, to take the cakes out of my round pans. The result:


This was after much scraping of the pan and gnashing of my teeth. And yes, I did butter AND flour the pans.


How was I ever going to frost this thing?




And I had two of them! One with a great big crack all the way through that you can't really see in the photo.


They tasted great; even though they didn't look too pretty. So I started trying to get creative.

And I thought.

And thought.

And tried desperately to have an inspiring idea.

Then I sent Mr. Lego to the store. (Side note here: it is a great thing when your oldest is old enough to walk to the store. We live about 3 blocks from one and having him run over there has saved me many times.)

He brought me back these.




So, this was my bright idea: make a layered chocolate trifle. I made the pudding, whipped up the heavy cream and cut up the cake into cubes.




Then I layered cake, pudding, whipped cream, cake, pudding, whipped cream; until it reached the top of my bowl.




I even got one of those mini chocolate bars that we had on hand from the lady at the assisted living center, and grated chocolate over the top.

Yum! It was a hit. Everyone loved it and licked their bowls clean. Well, at least not the grownups.

Now this is where my having time to experiment comes in. To make this trifle, I only used one of the cake rounds. So I made it again a few weeks later, and this time I did this:


I frosted the top of the cake before cutting it into cubes. This really gave it a chocolate punch.

My Sweetie usually loves the good ole' Duncan Hines cake mix, but he really liked this and observed that this cake recipe did hold up better than a boxed cake would have. Even after a couple days (which was the longest it ever lasted in our house) the cake was still firm and not mushy, even though it was surrounded by whipped cream.

And so you know, I made this same exact cake recipe again and even put down parchment paper, but the cake still stuck. Oh well, I'm not going to use it for a layered cake anymore. The kids love this new dessert (Mr. Lego requested it for his birthday), and it is pretty easy to put together.


Double Chocolate Trifle

Ingredients:

1 round chocolate cake, preferably homemade (It will hold up better)
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon sugar
Chocolate pudding mix, (Instant or Cook & Serve) 5.9 ounce package
Milk as directed
1 jar chocolate frosting, or make your own

Directions:

Make cake and cool completely. Place cake in freezer to make frosting the cake easier. Make chocolate pudding according to directions; allow to cool if necessary. Whip heavy cream with hand mixer until soft peaks form; add sugar, then whip until stiff peaks form. Remove cake from freezer and generously frost. Cut cake into 1x1 inch cubes. Layer into a large glass bowl, cake, pudding and whipped cream, ending with whipped cream. If desired garnish with shaved or grated chocolate. Keep refrigerated.

Comments

  1. A+ for problem solving! :)
    That looks like some beautiful redemption right there, covered in chocolate shavings.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Melissa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trifle. It may be my favorite dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, Erin! I loved this recipe because it was chocolaty, but had the whipped cream throughout. I had never made any kind of trifle before this....another dessert recipe I need to try. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts