Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Our Homeschooling Curriculum 2010

I cannot believe it is already September and the 2010-2011 school is upon us. Time sure flies.

I have finished my prep work and with the first couple days of school behind us, I thought I would share my plans. Some things are old, some things are new but all, I pray, will further my children's (and mine!) education.


Bible - Balancing the Sword and Training Hearts, Teaching Minds

We will continue to read a chapter of the Bible each morning then do the questions in Balancing the Sword. Currently we are in Joshua...

Each week we will memorize a new question of the Westminster Shorter Catechism using Training Hearts as a study guide.  For the first couple weeks I'll be reviewing what questions we have already memorized before we pick back up with question #20.

History - Mystery of History Vol II, The Early Church and the Middle Ages

I loved this curriculum last year and I think I will love it again; very thorough, Bible based chronological program. There are some literature books I want to read aloud to go along with this....The Crusades by Anthony West, Adventures and Discoveries of Marco Polo by Richard Walsh  and The Magna Carta by James Daugherty. All of them old Landmark books.

Vocabulary - English From the Roots Up

This is one of my new curriculum choices this year. Each week we will learn two new roots either from Greek or Latin and then study the derivatives and meanings.

Logic - Red Herring Mysteries

Another new one; this one really looks fun. We will do one story a week using critical reasoning and problem solving. This has actually been a huge hit the last two days....the kids LOVE trying to figure out the mystery.

Grammar/Spelling - Language Arts by Christian Light Publications

The older ones will be using this curriculum for the first time. I love the simplicity and straightforwardness of these books who came recommended by a friend. But we are having slight problems. Before this we did Shurley English which I loved, but that course doesn't teach diagramming in the traditional way. (Don't get me started, but I have a thing for diagramming.) I wanted them to have a different perspective of grammar, hence the curriculum change, but I am not sure how jumping into 6th and 7th grade grammar of a totally different curriculum is going to go. We'll see what happens....

Writing - Writing Skills, Writing With Ease and Spell, Say, and Write.

The older two are using Writing Skills for the first time which is a very incremental approach to writing. We like it a lot so far. (Which isn't saying that much; it has only been two days.)

Dasher is doing Susan Wise Bauer's Writing With Ease which, using excellent literature, has copywork, dictation and narration exercises.

Then both Dasher and Nutsy will work through Spell, Say, and Write. This book is a great way to introduce spelling. I have downloaded it onto my computer and tried to find it online but it has disappeared so there is no link.:-(

Math - Math U See

Really loved this last year so it is a keeper. The three older ones love their workbooks and watching Mr. Demme.

Science - Apologia's Land Animals of the Sixth Day

We did Swimming Creatures last year and really enjoyed it. This year I am adding notebooking activities and simple experiments that are suggested in the Land Animals book.

Phonics - Explode the Code and Phonics Pathways

Both Dasher and Nutsy will be using the Explode the Code workbooks to help them learn phonics. I have never used them before but like what I have heard from my friends.

Nutsy will be starting with the letter A in Phonics Pathways.

Co-op - Matres Magistres

In our co-op this year we will be learning about Beethoven and Vivaldi, 4 different hymns, memorization passages and a weekly nature study. The core part though will be on California history. We will study the native Californians, Spanish explorers, gold rush and modern times using the book, His California Story. The older children will learn note taking skills, read biographies, and have book reports and oral reports to do. The younger children will read books and do crafts and coloring pages. And living where we are in the heart of gold country, I am sure we will be heading to lots of fun field trips this year too.


So that is it in a nutshell; I hope to update in a few months on our progress!

4 comments:

  1. Ethan uses Math U See and he loves it!!! I'm completely sold on it. At least, for him I am :) I know every child is going to be so different, so I'm doing my best to be loose and creative with what we use :)
    Also, your Bible program sounds wonderful! I think I said that last year too :)

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stef. I totally hear you about the different math for different kids...I have tried lots of different ones (Saxon, Right Start, Modern Curr. Press) and it seems like Math U See can be tailored to different kids and their needs. I still have 2 that need to get into meaty math, so we will see if we stay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using ETC for J for phonics. I like it for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear that Rebecca! It is encouraging when I hear it works for someone. Did you start it from the beginning, or did you wait until he was able to sound all the letters? Nutsy does not know all her letters and sounds yet, but really wants to do workbooks.....not sure if we will run out of worksheets though.

    ReplyDelete