Thursday, March 25, 2010

12 Books Review #1

So I have slowly been whittling away at my book list. Slower than I would have liked but I am determined to finish on time. One thing I have noticed, all books are not created equal. When I started I thought that I would consistently read one book a month; well that is not taking into account The History of Redemption's 358 thought-provoking pages versus the dramatic Quo Vadis which took me a record 9 days to read. So the goal is still the same, 12 books in 12 months, but maybe not at that pace. Here is what I think of what I have read so far:

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift - This book was an interesting read. It is basically four adventures that Gulliver has; first with the little people, then in a land where he is the little person, then in a land, or island that floats in the sky, and finally in a land where horses rule the earth. In my version the prologue wrote about how Jonathan Swift was using this book to show a satirical view of European governments and the petty differences of religions. I was thankful for the prologue hint because I am naive and don't know if I would have seen it. I did see the point he was trying to make and it was intriguing, but sad in some ways to see the selfishness of man.

From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne - I love Jules Verne. He is one of my favorite authors, with his rich plots and deep English. But this book was not my favorite of his works. I didn't know what the plot was before I started the book, but found it disappointing that the story ends as the rocket leaves the earth. The story makes up for that though, with its incredible predictions about space travel and its comical look at the gun club, whose members will shoot cannons at anything. I did find out recently that there is a sequel by Verne titled Round the Moon which I just put on hold at my library.

Humility, The Forgotten Virtue by Wayne A Mack- This was a powerful book. Humility is truly forgotten, and during my perusal of this book I realized how prideful I am. The book first talks about our attitude of humility towards God in seeing our own depravity and sinfulness. Then it addresses being humble towards those around us and talks about not being stubborn, arrogant and wanting to be noticed by others. I appreciated the organized style of the book and the simple yet profound things the author suggests we can do to become more humble. A very good read.

The Mother At Home by John SC Abbott - This book was originally written in 1833. I thought that a parenting book written so long ago might have irrelevant portions in it, but I was pleasantly surprised by its practical approach. One thing that stuck out to me in this book is how much emphasis is put on my attitude and if I have or strive for the virtues that I expect and train in my children. There are many practical examples that cut to the heart, and show how serious first time obedience is in child training. I would highly recommend this to any parent.

Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz - This was a book that was very hard for me to put down! Set in the time of Nero, it is a story about a Christian girl and a Roman officer who converts to Christianity. I loved the contrast between the sinful worldliness of the Roman public versus the simplicity and love that the Christians had. It does go into detail about Nero's persecution of believers and the degeneration of Rome so I would recommend it for late high school age and up.

And that's it at this point! I have been reading The History of Redemption since January and also just started Passionate Housewives Desperate For God this week. I do think I will finish my goal of getting done by August 2010. And please if you have any good books you have read this year, leave me a comment with the title and why you liked it....I am always on the look out for a good read and for the 2011 book list!

4 comments:

  1. You have peaked my curiosity with reading The Mother at Home. Especially what you said here - SO true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you on Erin's blog. Look forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies, and thanks for stopping by! I love meeting new friends through my blog.

    ReplyDelete