Here are some of the facts that Mr. Lego and Bookworm learned during our visit:
Mr. Lego -
- We learned how they capture a shark to display for the aquarium. They only keep them here for 6 months.
- A male seahorse is the one who gives birth to the babies.
- A fangtooth fish (the one that has fang-like teeth) is actually pretty small and only gets to six inches in length.
- We learned all about camouflage and how animals disguise themselves.
- I learned that the seahorse does dance steps when they mate.
- The great white sharks are captured in a big net and then are transported to the aquarium. Also when they put them in the tank in the aquarium they have to put bubbles on the windows so the shark does not run into them.
- The kelp grows over 10 feet a day.
- Penguins flap in the water and sometimes do little hops when people aren't looking.
And Dasher liked learning about dolphins and seeing the penguins. This aquarium has great hands on stuff for the kids.
And everyone loved the wave machine. I think they sat in there for at least 10 minutes. Too bad they don't have recliners for the adults.
Fun adventures! There was so much to see and a couple new exhibits that I think makes it worth it for us to go every year.