Friday, September 11, 2009

Styrofoam Art

The other day the kids were looking a bit bored so I was trying to think of a craft to do. I had recently received a couple packages in the mail and spying the Styrofoam packaging, I was reminded of a craft we did last year at the Discovery Museum in San Jose. I never knew this, but water to Styrofoam is like glue to paper. So I stuck a big bowl of it on their school table, put a couple wet sponges on a plate, gave them each a piece of cardboard to anchor their creations on and then let them go to town with it.


Creative juices were flowing...

We did make one discovery; apparently there are different kinds of Styrofoam and water as glue only works with the white noodle kind. The pink ones with ridges would not stick, even with glue.


A finished masterpiece!

Here is Bookworms' Igloo:

The kids had a lot of fun with this, despite the fact that two-thirds of the Styrofoam we had was the pink kind. There was also a mess to clean up... you know, chasing the little bits of white stuff all over the kitchen with the broom; we finally resorted to the vacuum. Do any other moms out there have any fun (and simple!) craft ideas to share?

In other news, our first week of school went very smoothly; the kids are liking what they are studying, and I am realizing I need to brush up on my ancient history knowledge again. We had our first 4-H meeting (more on that later) and our first co-op of the year was so fun! You can read more about that here.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you're such a fun Mommy-Teacher! I am exhausted at the end of this week. It's all good, but very tiring. My ds ran me ragged this evening cajoling me to practice the accompaniment parts of his piano lesson book so we can play duets: "Mom, you need to practice that 6 times!"

    --Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks fun!! One employer I worked for had a shipping dept that used "cereal" peanuts (the term for the water-soluble packing thingies). They'd dissolve when we put 'em on our tongues and, sure enough, they tasted like Cheerios! We never got up the nerve to pour milk over 'em, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much fun!! Great memories for the kids!

    ReplyDelete